Walking Through The Goldmines

The eerie sounds of the underground mine fill my ears like sleigh bells as the anxiety begins to rise within. I’m fearful of what awaits me at the end of the abandoned mine. Shuffle through the underground tunnel, I peer over my shoulder. My hair droops over my weary face like wilted sunflowers as I remember the dreadful scene of my suffering friend. I am immersed in the memory of her last words before she stumbled to the ground. “Save yourself! Somehow, we will meet again.” With that, she was dragged out of sight, in the arms of blackmailing criminals. Reluctantly I shut my eyes for the pain is too great. I can’t hinder the persistent flashbacks emerging from the shadows.
Clutching a crumpled note I mutter, “Alright, what do these beastly blackmailers want me to do now?” I try to ignore the ghastly echoing of the goldmine and begin to read, “Where the eagle meets the moon, there you will encounter the glowing light.” Must I continue with this walk until I see an actual eagle or symbol? Would I then find my friend, Lorali? As I wonder about the letter, night falls upon the goldmine. I squint, as something I thought I’d never see comes into view. My heart starts to pound wildly like an alarm bell out of control. I clumsily trip over my own shoe when something amazing happens. Sensing a cool breeze I gaze upwards, my eyes are met with the luminescent moon! I then notice a figure carved into a massive boulder, exceeding my height. My tired eyes refocus. It is the imprint of an eagle!
I slowly rotate in order to spot the mysterious light. Sure enough, lying on a small rock is a beautiful green lantern. It lights up a small area of the field. “The letter’s right!” I rejoice. Suddenly, a tall and muscular figure emerges from the shadows. Intimidated, with fierce and blazing eyes I react:
“Stop, and don’t take another step! You are one of the men who kidnapped Lorali!” There is an awkward silence before a series of lanterns are lit simultaneously. Suddenly everything is clear. Standing in front of me is a man holding in his hand, a gun. A shock runs through my system and I am speechless.
“I know you’re looking for your friend, but she’s gone. Our families once knew each other, but Lorali’s father tore our lives apart. Revenge has waited long enough.” I drop to my feet and bury my head in my palms. What could Lorali’s parents possibly have done? I have to find Lorali; I know she isn’t dead and I’m going to prove it. Facing the man, he suddenly charges at me. I frantically look around, but my vision is blurred with tears. I stumble, panicked, as a gunshot rips through the night sky. I start to run.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!