George's Corner

I guess you can say that this story starts at a corner; The corner of George street and North west road on a cold winters evening around 1995 (give or take a few years). At the corner stood an old book store in need of a new paint job, the green color was peeling and the brick texture that lay under was in view. Old bundles of books lay untouched in the windows and out on the street in baskets with a note 'Take one, just take the bloody lot'.
A dim light emitted from the rain soaked windows and if any dared to take a look, the sight would be in a way, breathtaking. The birth of a new child, a new soul to enter the world.
Wilfred Brandy and Henry Mortimer the towns doctor stood with their backs facing the window, Ira Brandy lay just past them, her pale locks of blonde hair sticking to her forehead with sweat and cries of pain leaving her body and slipping out into the open.
"Ira, one big push' Wilfred spoke, almost whispering as he pushed the hair off his Wife's forehead and flinched as her nails dug into the flesh of his hand.
"Come on darling" This time it was almost a plead as sounds mixed into one, the cries of a baby, the crying of Ira and the voice of Henry congratulating them on a beautiful baby boy.
The room came out black and blue to Ira, everything seemed out a place and the small cries of the baby seemed more distant then a few feet away.
"Could I hold him" she asked, the tears rushing out of her eyes. For Wilfred this was a different sight; the sight of his wife on the brink of death, crying with a tiny bundle of joy in her arms, this caused the warm tears to form in his eyes.
"Oh Wilfred, please dont cry" Ira spoke as her pale hand reached out grabbing hold of his, a small smile arched on her tear stained face. "Everyone was born to die. Right now is my time" Her voice came out short of breath and it ripped Wilfred's heart as he watched the rise and fall of his beautiful Wife's last breath rolling away from her.
As his Wife passed, Wilfred looked at the tiny baby that lay wide eyed in her arms, tucked away in a thin blue blanket.
"Im sorry little man" Wilfred whispered as he picked up the bundle and rocked him gently, small tears rolling across his face. "Your Mumma asked me to name you, you know" He spoke softer, brushing his finger against the little child's forehead.
"But what do I name my light haired, blue eyed little boy, with a cute button nose?" The child just smiled up at Wilfred, pulling his tiny hand out of his blanket. Wilfred smiled, placing his finger in his hand.
"George" He whispered smiling as the baby now named George smiled back, "I'm going to name you George and this will be your corner"

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!