Camping Out

What if you were there…

“There are two groups of us out here we’ll find them for sure,” Scalon in just to unconfident. We spent all day searching for the Kelly Gang and it’s time to set up at stringy bark creek. I was given the job of cooking so I’ll kill a kangaroo or something. “We’re going to go search a little bit more!” shouted Kennedy taking Scalon with him, “So I guess it’s just you and me,” said Lonigan while tending to the horses. “Dinner is ready,” I had just finished cooking some parots.
I was just about to start eating when like a serpent from the under growth comes a man, “BAIL UP!” he shouted. In shock I threw my hands up in defeat but Lonigan dived to a nearby log, but unfortunately the man shot him. It was at that moment that I noticed it was the Kelly Gang. While one of them questioned me the other three searched the camp site. “Ned!” shouted a man I had assumed to be Steve Hart, that blunt fool “There are two more of them coming from the north.” The Kelly Gang hid as Kennedy and Scalon returned. “Drop your weapons you’re surrounded!” I shouted “please you must drop your weapons!” I tried to warn them but they didn’t listen. They got to camp and immediately asked where Lonigan was, at that moment Ned and his gang came out of the surrounding bush. BANG Scalon shot at Ned but missed, Ned then shot back hitting Scalon right off his horse. Kennedy leaped off his horse using it as cover from the oncoming fire. Unfortunately for him the weapons scared the horses into running off so I jumped onto the creatures back and it galloped off. Last I saw was Kennedy being chased into the bush by one of the gang members, I couldn’t see which one. I must have been one that horses back for thirty odd seconds when I heard a scream of pain, then suddenly I got knocked off the horses back by a large pointed branch.
Frightened to death and armed with just a pocket knife I managed to hide from Ned Kelly I started to run. After what seemed like an hour I started to walk and noticed it was night time already. I scrambled into a nearby wombat hole almost sure that the Kelly Gang was behind me.
The night was cold and wet and I was almost sure I would die but I eventually I managed to take my mind off it but only worse thoughts arose. I barely got to sleep that night. I woke up and set out for Mansfield, while I was walking I stumbled upon Kennedy dead in the sand, I couldn’t believe my eyes. I walked back to the camp to see Scalon and Lonigan slain on the ground too, I felt alone. I searched the surrounding area for weapons food and horses but found nothing. I made a beeline towards Mansfield. When I got to Mansfield I was called a coward a fat gutless tub of lard and more but I informed the Mansfield Council of the incident and led the troops right to the camp but the Greta Mob was already gone.
I almost list my life that fateful day and I almost lost my job the day after. The Kelly Gang were well organised but badly equipped, never again shall I make that mistake but I might be wrong.
Constable McIntyre

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!