Candle Lit Destruction

It was a cold, dark night. I grabbed my sweater and I took a candle out into the graveyard just to watch it burn. Handcrafted, warm vanilla- bean scent, if it makes a difference. It illuminated the night like a lightning bolt in the middle of a summer storm. The flame danced and bounded as a light breeze blew it astray, not enough to blow it out. The flame then quickly fell back in place as the wind stopped to sway, just as a soldier would get back up after falling in battle. The colour was almost too vibrant for the dim, blackened night. It didn't help that there were only a few stars in the sky which remained uncovered by storm clouds.The whole night felt like something that should have been in a movie, you know the one where there is a girl with a lit candle, walking alone to a graveyard at midnight. I sat down at a grave, it was none in particular, but I set the candle down at the foot of the grave. I settled next to the candle, admiring the warm, ember flame as it flickered it's way down the wick. As I gazed closer, I noticed how intricate the small, waxy wick was. It was tightly woven, like a braid, with thin, tiny loops interlocking. I was intrigued, but then I wondered who would spend that much time hand weaving a tiny candlewick, just to have it go in flames without benefiting themselves.

My attention was stolen by the urge to destroy something. I looked around at all my options; a tree, a statue, a church, the fence or the gravestone at which I was standing at. I decide that i must destroy the small, leaf-baring tree. I kicked it and snapped the branches and then finally realised that there was no more of the tree to defeat. Then I decided I needed a feared, more durable victim, I turned to face the tombstone which stood, old and rustic looking. I picked up a brick from next to the church. I through it as hard as i could at the gravestone, and nothing happened. So then i grabbed a plank of tough, indestructible oak and laid into the structure. I managed to take of pieces of the corner. I had had enough as I was exhausted and out of energy. I took a look at the mess i make and there were no words to describe the amount of guilt had built up inside of me.

I then decide it was time for me to head home, after all it was a long night and I did not feel innocent as I did when I got to the graveyard. The air was chilled and i realised that I shouldn't let mind over matter get the better of me. I used my soft scented candle to take a look at the name written on the tombstone i was resting on. The name that was engraved was…

Shannen Cook

That is my name. I quickly blew out the candle as a chill ran up my spine as i had finally processed what was written on the tombstone. I started to run and so i disappeared into the dark, star-less night, scared as could be.

The End.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!