Oblivious Humans

“…the amount of people that have died are now twenty five thousand. There’s no answer for why these people are dying but we can confirm that they are all connected. Come back in half an hour for more updates...” The connection cuts out leaving the silent room full of static noise.
I sit silently on a stool while drinking my now cold coffee. There’s been nothing but deaths on the news lately. They never say how they die but in a way they’re all somehow ‘connected’. This started to happen roughly 12 weeks ago and ever since then, things just seem fishy. The electricity for example, there’s now allocated times for when the TV is going to turn on and off, the oven and other things too. We can’t leave the state we live in or go near the borders. We live on rations and now there’s a new type of police around, they spy on you and they have implanted cameras everywhere. I bet they have even made spy flies that stay near your home just to hear what you say.
Weeks ago one of my friends said something about ‘how we’re being under attack’ and ‘how it’s an invasion of our privacy.’ The next day I found her lifeless body on the ground, her heart taken out and her body was scarred and blood drenched but the thing that scared me most was how her eyes were open and how they were just white. They just stared at you, those big stark white eyes.
Some people think it’s a war. I have proof that it is Aliens. The other night I was outside illegally. It was 1 am. There was one of those new types of police officers and what looked to be like a human. It seemed like a friendly conversation until the ‘human’ ripped its own skin off and grew spikes and extra limbs. It seemed like a movie was taking place right in front of me. I started to pinch my arm to see if I was dreaming but I wasn’t. The ‘person’ raised their extra arm and in the light I could see that at its end was a sharp point. The arm was raised above the police officer and in a swift movement it pierced his skin right through his neck, coming out of the other end.
Since then Earth has had many spaceships in the sky though none of my friends acted like they saw them. I kept quiet and didn’t tell anyone what I saw but I knew our race was dying. But maybe I’d be a survivor for us. I don’t think we expected to be invaded by aliens so we didn’t prepare for it and now that it has happened, we’re all dying. Most of us didn’t have the eye to see them coming and now they’re here; we’re still in denial.
I guess you can call us oblivious humans.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!