Can Never Escape

Hood up, head low and hands stuffed in my pockets. My face hidden as my eyes peered through, watching people walk by as I strolled on the pathway. All I could see was perfection. Perfectly manicured lawns, perfect houses and perfect shops. Not a speck out of place.

Walking, my eyes fell on the residence of this perfect neighborhood. Expensive clothing were nothing for them, compared to them I look like the dirt beneath their feet. I was proven correct, when they stuck their nose in the air as they strolled past me. Disgust was present on their faces as they looked me up and down but I did not care.

Ignoring their sneers, I kept walking until my line of sight was blocked by giggling girls coming my way. As I neared them I could hear their whispers, “Look at her!” they snickered as one pointed at me. “How could they just let any trash in?!” Lowering my eyes, I couldn't face them because it was true.

I was nothing.

A squeal snapped me out of my thoughts, stopping suddenly I looked ahead to see one of the girls point to something on the opposite side of the road. There, above us was a giant billboard of the world’s most famous celebrity.

Alexis Goldman.

Born to be famous. Brought up to be what they want. Designed to please and entertain. Perfection.

My opinion of her included words such as fake, pretender and an outcast. Whenever I saw her pictures, I could see the loneliness and pain in her dull, green eyes and the forced smile plastered on her face, and the stress lines she tried to hide. She may trick everyone with that perfect look but she does not fool me.
I can see right through her for the real person she is.

Nothing.

Sighing, I looked away. My feet started moving forward, passing the girls I heard them say “I wish I was her.” one whined and her friend agreed. Humorlessly I chuckled at their stupidity, because what they couldn't see was that Alexis Goldman was trapped in her own life. Forever in the lime light. I actually pity the poor girl, never will she know what it’s like to be normal.

I was so deep in thought that I didn't notice the boy running my way, until it was too late. We collided and I fell to the ground. Groaning in pain, my hood fell off and hair fell out and I heard the words I dreaded most.

“OMG! It’s Alexis Goldman!” the very girls that insulted me screamed.

Silently sighing in defeat, I watched as heads turned my way. Everyone rushed to crowd me, leaving no room for me to escape.

Like I ever had a chance to anyway…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!