The Stranded


I awoke in a daze, my head throbbing, my eyes glance up a huge ball of flames erupted from scrap metal, ringing starts in my ears and charred bodies surround me there were some missing limbs. A loud scream approaches: it was a young girl clambering away from the wreck. I push myself up but my legs give way. I crawl to her grasping her in my arms. Another eruption occurs the girl’s body stops moving, I notice a big chunk of metal sticking out of her back and blood gushing out. I turn away at this horrific site and crawl for safety 20 metres away where the tree line starts.
I lay behind the trees staring up at the smoke filled sky, my heart thumping like a thundering elephant I close my eyes and try to remember what happened but the throbbing in my legs were too painful. I look down to my feet noticing my left leg was covered with bruises the size of tennis balls. Night was closing in the temperature dropped rapidly, cicadas started singing. I looked for something to cover me against the cold, I scanned the area there were some big wilted palm leaves and scattered sticks, some small twigs and some quite large, I grasp the tree that I am laying against and use it to put me on my feet and hobble towards some sticks, I gather them up holding them tight in my arm and then limp towards the palm leaves I grasp two leaves and pile them together, I dropped my sticks on the ground. As I kneel down my knees crack. I search through my sticks for two forked ones one has a v intersection through it and another has a branch sticking off the main one, I snap the sticks down to about 30 centimetres I force the sticks into the soft ground 2 metres apart from each other and lay a palm leaf on top which creates a kind of roof. I lay the other palm leaf on me and crawl under the hammock thing and closed my eyes the uneven ground was hurting my back but I quickly fell asleep.
I awoke to the bright blue sky the sun was shining on me and the leaves above shook in the light wind: my skin had a very slight frost on it. I sat up rubbing my eyes the shelter that I had put up the night before laid beside me. I shoved the palm leaf off me and stood up I stumbled over to the sticks that I had collected before and looked for bugs in them. I found a couple of ants but nice to eat. So I walked to a light brown tree which had a deep hollow in it hoping for some animal inside. I put my hand in and feel around I grab something I thought it was a lizard as it squirmed in my tight hand, I pull it out, it lets out a huge hiss as I throw it on the ground, I knew that it wasn’t a lizard as soon as had it out of the hollow. The snake black like night sky rears up ready to strike I stumble back trying to grab a stick the snake strikes like lightning a excruciating pain starts in my leg I look down and two bleeding pin pricks appear my eyes close uncontrollably fast: I cannot keep them open…….

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!