The Relaxing Complication

Ah! Peace, serenity, just floaty even. There I was floating on a bamboo raft in the middle of a deep, calm lake. I look to my right. Pine trees covered in snow inhabited happy birds chirping merry little tunes. I look to my left. Canoes neatly lined up next to the shore waiting patiently for children.
I close my eyes as I pass a branch covered in frost. Icicles hung from it like ornaments on a Christmas tree. I feel the bitter cold wind nip upon my cheeks.
I was on camp and most people would complain about the cold but I don’t. Yes it was freezing but it’s too beautiful of a scenery to complain. Who would want to criticize floating gently on a raft? I could feel the detailed ripples of movement. But then my muscles tense and my throat goes stale dry.
My eyes flash open and I suddenly find myself sitting up. I was facing a drop not ten feet away from me. I jump to work paddling hopelessly back to shore. Thrashing the water and panicking till the last minute when I was sent overboard. From there I just fell down, not even trying to stop.
I plunged into the deep water. Black as night, cold as snow, deeper than the ocean. Almost haunted, the lake sucked me towards the bottom. I tried to swim against it to reach the surface.
I gasped for air but received a gallon of freezing water. I thrashed at the water like I was throwing a tantrum. I was shivering violently from the icy temperature I was coping with. My life flashed before my eyes as I drowned until someone grabbed me and pulled me upward.
I blinked and sat up. My heart was beating like a drum and I was breathing heavily. It was all gone. It was all a dream. Thank goodness. I faced the clock. It was five o’clock in the morning and the sun was shining brightly through a tiny sliver in the curtains. I hopped up, stretched and smelt the forest air and got dressed. I was going to float on the lake.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!