The Great Bear Islands!

In a dark forest a small brown bear was born. He was named Urjarak and was special and different to other bears. Time passed and night fell. The next day was his second bear year. He woke up to the sound of birds singing. He was finally two! A few months after his birthday, his father got killed in a fight with other bears and his mother had to hunt for their food instead. Urjarak was depressed and wished his father never died. His father was his protector and hero. Urjarak moaned every time his mother had to leave. He felt insecure as he did not want to be left alone and was afraid that his mother would die too. How Urjarak wished he could have a happy family, he knew that some dreams cannot come true and he can’t change the past. He was well aware his father was dead and will never return home no matter how hard he prayed.

One day his mother had to go out as usual, he clung onto her and pleaded for her to stay. His mother comforted him and said “I’ll be fine Urjarak, I will come home soon, I love you Urjarak”. Urjarak was reluctant to let his mother go but eventually relented and went to the back of the den to watch his mother leave. He waited patiently, several moons passed but his mother did not come home and he was getting anxious. Finally Urjarak’s mother came back one night to his relief. She led him to the Great Bear Islands where she taught him how to catch fish. He was very delighted to spend time with his mother. While fishing, his mother told him a story by the Lake. There was once a bear named Saluki who traveled on a long arduous journey along the lake to the land of everlasting ice which was like an earthly paradise for bears. Before his expedition, he lived in a forest where all bears stayed in their territories and followed the rules, and older bears would tell the young ones great stories. Saluki listened to these stories until he turned two and decided to leave his parents and explore. He went through many life threatening challenges and eventually reached there as a fully grown bear.

“They say that only cubs can finish the journey Urjarak, why don’t we try it, I’ll be right behind you.” Urjarak’s mother encouraged. He yearned to see the place and couldn't hold his excitement and off he trotted into the meandering path. He walked through deep ravines and along the steepest cliffs and saw the most spectacular waterfalls without realizing that his mother was nowhere to be seen. His excitement soon diminished and was getting worried. Then at a distance, he heard some familiar voices “Wake up my darling child”. He opened his eyes and before him were his mother and father. Good Morning Urjarak! Happy Birthday! It was just a pleasant dream.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!