Veracity

I sat on the rock, kind of patting it and feeling the texture. It was rough and pointy, yet it made me feel real. I looked ahead, at the sunset that turned from blood red, to light orange, to a faded purple, to a dark navy blue. The sun setting blinded me, but I felt like I belonged to the world. I was unsure of how long I stayed outside, it could have been minutes or hours, but I didn’t own a watch. I saw a flicker at the corner of my eye and a slight glow, and the first sight of a firefly. I shivered and goose bumps ran all along my body. I finally gave in and went inside. I found my older brother, Josh and little sister Eva, sitting by the fire. “A, your finally here, thought I might not see you again." Josh joked, smiling at me and I forced a smile in return and then left the room, not even replying.

My name is Arianna, but I liked to be called A. I walked up the stairs, each step creaking. I went into my mother and father’s bedroom, sat on the old dusty bed and looked in the mirror, letting one tear after another glide down my cheek. I let the memory of them enter my mind and block it from any other thoughts. My dark long hair hanging loosely in a ponytail, my pale skin glowing in the moonlight and my blue eyes, blank and remembering the loss of my parents on this day three years ago.

I held a pillow tightly. It had the smell of my mother’s rose scented perfume, and again I was reminded of so many painful memories. I didn’t know if I wanted those memories to penetrate my mind, or if I wanted to forget them entirely. Then again would forgetting be more painful or an insult to their memory? An ache pierced my heart, like I was being stabbed. It was so painful I wanted to scream, but I bit the inside of my cheek to restrain myself. My head pounded and I felt dizzy from those thoughts and all the crying. I shifted my grasp on the pillow and heard a crackle. It sounded as though inside the pillow. I quickly unbuttoned it, curiosity getting the better of me. Inside there lay two sheets of paper. I pulled them out. The writing was in cursive font, and was slightly crinkled and blotched like someone had been crying, therefore making it difficult to read.
At the bottom I saw a name, just one, in the same black font and it read. Amelia. My mother’s name. I swiped tears from my eyes and then read.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!