James Walker

I pictured him, the day he died. Just sitting there. Alone, bleeding. A spilt bottle of pills by his side. Could I previously have done anything, could I have changed his mind, changed his perceptive of life? How could people be saying he has done this to himself, do they actually know what really happened? Could someone have set this up?

I saw him 2 hours before his death, he was walking with some girl that I have never seen before. She doesn't go to our school and I haven't seen her around town. It looked like they were arguing, they were drawing a bit of attention to themselves. But I couldn't be sure.

His name was James Walker, he was 17, I didn’t know him that well but we had some classes together. This one time I tripped and dropped all my books. I don’t know how I did but he helped me up. He was so nice and genuine. And well, I could have been nicer to him.

James always had a smile on his face, always laughing, always so nice to everyone, helping everyone. No one had any idea he could've been so unhappy, so miserable, so full of despair. He wasn't the type of person who would share his feelings or to hang around in small groups. He was a people person, always hanging around in large groups. And yet he got bullied a fair bit. It's amazing what people can hide behind a smile, what emotions can hide.

I dedicate this story to teen suicide. Teen suicide is more common then people think. You should talk to people who are closest to you, family, friends and teacher are just some examples. There are also websites and phone lines open 24/7 for people who feel like they can't talk to anyone. Always remember the people you would leave behind and there are many other options.


Some websites and phone numbers you can use are:

www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
www.pada.org.au
www.kidshelp.com.au
www.headspace.com
www.lifeline.org.au
www.youthbeyondblue.com

Suicide Help Line: 1300 651 251
Life Line: 131 114
Direct Line- alcohol & drug support: 1800 888 236
Panic, Anxiety & Assistance: 03 9886 9400

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!