Unconditionally

Unconditionally. One of many words to describe what we had. There is nothing else in the world like it. Knowing that whatever happens, you will always love me. You were always there at my beck and call. Someone I could aspire too and turn to for advice, through thick and thin, knowing that our love would last for an eternity. Nothing could break us. Nothing could take away what we have. And nothing could make our love meaningless. This is the only thing keeping me going through this heart wrenching time.
I still remember the look on your face when we were told what was going to happen, something that would change our lives forever. I knew something was wrong. I just never expected it to be so unscrupulous, to be the end of everything. I wasn’t going to let this take away the only person who ever truly believed in me.
I spent days researching, setting meetings with doctors trying to find a cure, or even something that could delay the inevitable. But all the while you were slipping away, day by day. It was cruel. But I kept going.
I remember the first day of school. You dropped me off at the gate and walked me to my class room. I wouldn’t let go of your hand. You knelt down beside me and told me that everything was going to be okay. But still I never let go of your hand. You told me that I had grown up so quickly that it was just as hard for you to let go as it was for me. You told me that we could get through this together. That you would be there to pick me up as soon as the bell went. I reluctantly let go of your hand because I believed you. As sure enough as soon as that long awaited bell went I sprinted from the class room straight to your open arms.
I want you to be there for me now. I’m not ready to have you taken away so abruptly from my life. I’m not ready to be on my own. Not yet.
I finally had to accept that there was nothing I could do. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. So I sat by your bed, 24/7, during your final days.
We all knew your time with us was coming to an end. You took my hand and saw the fear and uncertainty in my expression. You told me “I love you” and drew your final breath. I whispered in your ear, “I love you to”. And it was all over. You saved me so many times before. More than I can count. But when it really came down to it I couldn’t save you. No one could. And that’s what hurt the most.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!