Unexpected

Grey shafts of light flooded the palace. Through every window, crack and hole, soldiers could be seen patrolling the forest which surrounded this mighty castle. This was Castle Monty. Prince Dewon sat in his room, sulking. Why did he have to attend that performance by the orchestra? It was on tonight but the performers have not even arrived yet. He sat there, deep in thought when suddenly, somebody knocked on his door. Dewon quickly arranged his position so he looked princelier.
"Come in," he called.
The door swung open and in came Max, his servant. "It is time to welcome the guests, sir," quavered Max.
Max was aged around 60 but he still served his king loyally. With a sigh, Dewon nodded once, letting Max know that he was dismissed, and made his way down the slightly worn out steps. His father, King Monty III, was already shaking the musicians’ hands. Dewon was surprised to see that the ‘orchestra’ was only made up of 4 players. The King beckoned to his son. “Dewon, these are four very talented musicians who travel around the world, playing beautiful pieces that no one else can play. Kye, Louise, Annabeth and Matt.”
“Pleased to meet you, young prince,” said Kye. His manner was smooth and something in his voice told Dewon that Kye knew something about him not wanting to attend the performance.
Annabeth spoke next, “We are the Reubus Orchestra. We can perform any song you desire but we will leave that for tonight.”
Not soon after she had said that, the King ordered a few servants to lead the four to their rooms. Dewon trudged back up the stairs to his room. Nobody knew his deepest secret, not even his father, but it seemed as if Kye did. He shook his head to clear it of that thought. “I have never met Kye before so it does not matter now,” Dewon told himself firmly.
Locking himself in his room, Dewon stared at his reflection in the mirror. Why was he born like this? Could he ever be the person he had always dreamed to be?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!