G'Day Mate!

I was so excited! I was in an aeroplane flying to Australia! Throughout my entire life I have always wanted to go because of the landmarks and native wildlife. Now my dream was about to become true! I've heard that Aussies are very social, and there are so many tourist attractions! Excuse me I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Layla Larriys, and I’m a TV reporter.

After a day in the aeroplane, I landed in the Northern Territory. I visited Uluru, a sacred place for Australian Aborigines. I suddenly felt like a tiny beetle compared to a magnificent bird. I felt overpowered. The Aborigines don't want their sacred monument climbed on, so I decided that I shouldn't do that for the sake of Australia's first inhabitants.

I started to drive to the nearest town. I looked at the map. The nearest town was at least 30 miles from here! How on Earth will I be able to reach that far? I have got a little bit of fuel left, plus I have rented this car! Well, I have to try. So I travelled four miles before the fuel ran out. I was stuck in the middle of the desert with nobody to help me!

After a few days, I was found by an aboriginal. I was so relieved! It was so hot that I thought I was going to melt, otherwise sizzled like a sausage on a barbeque. He showed me the way to the town. During that, he showed me how to live in the wild(if I ever got lost again). I drove rented another car and drove to the airport. I flew to Sydney airport, then rented another car to go to the heart of Sydney.

When I arrived, I was in awe and wonder. How can they build such beautiful yet stunning constructions? I took photographs of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, then went to Sydney Aquarium and Wildlife Zoo. When I saw the familiar duck-like bill, the beaver tail and those webbed feet, I knew exactly what that animal is - a platypus! The platypus is my favourite Aussie animal and monotreme.
I went to the kangaroo section. The keeper told me that I could feed the kangaroos. The next thing I knew, I was kicked by a one. He must have thought that I was a soccer ball, because he kicked me so hard. Thankfully, I recovered. After that amazing, yet painful experience, I travelled to Victoria.

I drove on the Great Ocean Road. There were so many koalas on those towering eucalyptus trees. It looked like the branches were reaching, trying to grab the sky. When I reached my destination, I was where the famous Twelve Apostles were. Four were devoured by the waves of the ocean, while the other eight were still standing strong. While I was walking along the beach, I was hit by the enormous waves of the sea like a tennis ball. After that, I was as wet as a penguin in the scene of an oil spill.

After those unforgettable moments, I headed home. In the journey, I learnt that Australia can be vigorous and powerful when it comes to nature!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!