Can't Get Out

“Good night,” whispered mum as she turned out the light,
“Goodnight,” I answered.
I couldn’t get to sleep at first, I kept tossing and turning, I did however, eventually. I dreamt that I was in is really strange place. There weren’t many people there, no more than twenty. The sky was dark, a blank canvas highlighting a full moon. The mountains formed a backdrop into the surreal picture. I saw houses in the distance. I tried running towards them but there was some kind of invisible barrier stopping me, I couldn’t get past it. A tall, skinny man behind me shrieked at me that we were stuck, it was impossible to get out.
All of a sudden I woke up. I looked around and thought I was still dreaming, the place I was looked exactly like the one in my dream. Even the people where the same!
I tried to get out again but it was no use, then I tried scratching at it and what looked like wallpaper tore off. So that’s why I couldn’t get out, I thought to myself. Behind the wallpaper there was a concrete wall. I asked the same dark-eyed man how he ended up here and he told me that he just fell asleep and woke up here.
“So that means that we both teleported?” I asked “but isn’t that impossible?”
“That’s what they all say,” he replied. I tried to go to sleep thinking that I would wake up at home, my sanctuary and that’s exactly what happened.
I told mum and dad the story but they never believed me, they told me I was still dreaming, maybe I was.
I’ve tried to go back there, just to see if the people were still there, but as hard as I try; I can’t go back. I still wonder to this day if I was dreaming and I’ve always been sure that I wasn’t, but as I told you; maybe I was.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!