Eldorado

There was once a young knight who served in the supreme court of Thriva. The King and Queen was a model of power and ruled their people with dignity. He was also gallant in case you've wondered. On his walls were medals, diplomas and pinned on badges of honour.

As the rulers were growing fail, the kingdom began to fall apart. No more of the annual festivals and circuses, no more of sunny skies and rainbows. Thriva, the kingdom who was once a glory place, became a dark and dismal one. Alas, the King and Queen had no children of their own to solve the problem.

Weeks passed and soon, everything began to disappear. But there was still hope as the story of Eldorado was born. One day, the Knight was asked to leave his quarters to meet the King. As he passed, everyone stopped to look at such a magnificent sight and somehow, that brought their memories back about how Triva used to be. Riding as rode on his chestnut horse that was throughbreed from Africa, at his waist was such a fine bronze sword adorned with carvings.

The Knight made his way to the castle. He gave his horse to the palace ostler's care. He then made his way and soon met the King. He learned that, the King wanted him to go on a quest in search of Eldorado. So, the Knight started on the quest.

Many valleys he passed, ridding on his horse. Days passed, as the Knight rode on and on stopping only to rest. He never lost the look of determination in his eyes.

Months passed and still the Knight looked for Eldorado. By now, the Knight was starting to lose hope. He had already travelled very far. This fearless Knight began to realise his strength has failed him. It seemed like the heavens knew what was going on since the sky was filled with clouds. A speck of a raindrop fell down and landed on the Knight's cheek. All at once, the Knight began to cry at failing such a quest. A sudden flash that would've blinded a hundred mice appeared in from of him.

For there was a pilgrim shadow in front of him. Without a moment's hesitation, he asked, "Where can the land of Eldorado be ?". "Use your heart and soul which shall guide you, over these mountains, down the valley of shadow if you seek for Eldorado". In a twinkle of an eye, she placed an object in the Knight's hand and disappeared.



It had stopped raining now and the tears of the Knight's fell down onto the object which was a sun flower. It grew when he had hope and withered when he cried. So he wiped away his tears and resolved to continue his journey.
But soon after the Knight stopped crying, a vision soon flickered like a candle in the wind. It started to go brighter. Till the Knight could recognise the land of Eldorado, he was just about cry out in glee when a dark figure stepped forward, and slashed something in the air. The figure was a demon. He slashed a sword in the air and headed straight for the Knight. The Knight was lost out of his senses and did not respond to the attack. So he was killed.
Alas, no one ever heard of him and Thriva, well, that’s another story. But the sun flower, which dropped out of the Knight’s hand grew in the soil and became a plant which today lies in memorabile of the Knight.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!