Oblivious Of Innocence

“Now Alyssa. Your lawyer has been quite persistent about convincing us that you’re innocent for the murder of Corey Mortez. However, the department isn’t buying it and quite frankly, neither am I. Please enlighten me with your fanciful story on why you’re innocent.”
“With all due respect Detective Heighstings” I retaliate back. “The assumption you have already labelled me with is fanciful, because I’m innocent.”
“Then please, tell me what happened.” He defied. I took a deep breath to slow my erratic heartbeat and told my story. “Corey Mortez and my Mother had a consequential past.” “How consequential?” “He was abusive. Always hitting and slapping her.” “Why didn’t you call the police?” “He was too dangerous. He threatened to kill us if we said anything, ever.” “So you killed him?” “No.” “Why were the fingerprints found on the bullets yours then?” “Because I loaded the gun, but I didn’t use it. It was only to terrify him into leaving us alone.” “Why did you threaten him?” “That night, he tried to kill my Mum. I threatened to call the cops but he ran off, so I followed. I grabbed my brother’s handgun and loaded it, and I caught up with him at some forest.” “You only scared him with the gun? That’s so pathetic. Even for you, Alyssa.” Pathetic? Please. I thought to myself. “Corey and I heard rustling in the bushes. Someone was charging at us with a knife. I drop the gun and ran to my car, I suspect the person used my gun to kill him.”
Detective Heighstings gave me a condescending look. “Pitiful. That story could’ve taken you 15 minutes to think of!” My jaw dropped. “Corey threatened to kill my Mother! Yes I threatened him with a gun, but I didn’t shoot him!” I hollered with all the seriousness I could muster. “Okay. Thank you for your time Miss D’Amelio.” I was then guided back to my cell.
It’s day 5 of my custody and I’m thinking of who that person was at the forest. Did someone want Corey dead? Nonetheless, I think everyone wanted him dead. He was a sadistic brute after all. He was prone to dirty glares and restraining orders, that man couldn’t keep his hands to himself and always found himself too close for comfort.
My Mum came in today. I told her about the ‘mystery person’ and she said that Corey had an Ex Girlfriend, Monty, who sent death threats to him due to the fact that he cheated on her. Multiple times. I guess that’s now the cop’s job to figure out.
Day 8 of my custody and now I’m contemplating my innocence. I pulled a gun on someone! I‘m no longer innocent because I’m not a child anymore. I don’t believe in Santa nor the Easter bunny. I don’t believe I’m safe anymore.
There’s a difference between innocent and not guilty and I’m not sure which one I categorize in. Was I actually lying that whole time?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!