Rain

The rain continued to pour down like buckets. I sat on the empty swing set, gently rocking myself back and forth. My eyes were focused on the houses but I saw only nothingness. My mind was a blur, too many thoughts and it was driving me crazy. I was barely holding on. I embraced the water splattering on my skin with open arms and basked in the rhythmic beat of the rain. I shed not even a tear. The rain droplets sliding down my face would have to suffice.

Suddenly the rain stopped. Who am I kidding? This isn't some perfectly timed drama. It was an umbrella. I slowly traced my eyes up the hand and it landed on a boy. He looked pretty annoyed to be standing in the rain. I didn’t know why people hated rain so much. We would always hide in our homes when the rain came; but rain was so beautiful and she didn’t get nearly enough love.

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Leave me alone," I muttered.

He sighed deeply and swore to himself. Just as he turned around and started walking away, I felt something rough wrap around my arm. What does he think he’s doing? I don't even know him. I let him drag me behind him and feigned weakness. He could be a rapist luring me away for all I know. His grip on my arm loosened when he realised I was following him obediently. Big mistake. That was when I attacked; I ripped my arm from his grip and kicked him in the balls. I ran. I glanced back at his figure rolling around next to his fallen umbrella in pain. Maybe I kicked a little too hard, but serves you right stranger for not listening to me.

I ran far away from the boy. I turned at random corners and let myself get lost. I had nowhere to return to anyway. The trees grew thicker creating a barrier that kept me dry from the pouring rain. When my breathing became uneven and my heart pumped against my chest painfully, I stopped to catch my breath. It was only then that I noticed the throbbing pain in my head; a pain so horrible that I for a moment forgot about all my troubles. I rest my body on the tree, letting it bear my weight. What did I have to live for anymore? My legs gave in and I dropped to the floor, tears finally escaping my eyes. They promised they would stay but they left me, all alone in this cruel world. I lay on the grass and surrendered to the darkness, who was all but happy to accept me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!