Zoo No More

Warm air and glowing rays of sunshine caressed our skin as we drifted along the river in the smooth hand-carved canoe. Only the gentle splash of oars pulling through the crystal clear water broke the silence. Dense groups of lambent green trees stretched upwards, lining the banks and casting a grey shadow over the environment below. Fresh air fuelled my body as we glided along the expanse of cool flowing water to reach our destination. Our guides attended to the boats whilst my family and I surveyed the rough terrain of one of Nepal’s remote rainforests.
Waiting allowed time for my eyes to sweep over the surroundings which were rich with impenetrable, abundant luscious flora. A narrow path to our right seemed to beckon us as it disappeared through a dark and foreboding gap in the jungle. I began to wonder about what lay behind the protective screen of trees, but wasn’t able to ponder it for long before our guides arrived, both men equipped with large backpacks full of supplies and long sticks of bamboo. Amar and Bijay ensured that we were familiar with the safety procedures before venturing into the unknowns of a rainforest safari.
Adrenalin, excitement and nervousness possessed my senses as we moved through protruding branches and thick, snake-like vines. It was an anxious walk through obscurity until finally slipping through a curtain of leaves into light. Natural blue sky replaced the canopy of foliage and stalks of grass taller than our heads replaced thick tree trunks. Proceeding along the thin path, various sounds of bounteous wildlife could be heard amidst the greenery. My previous fear melted away and a feeling of peace was a welcomed substitute. Perfect!
Harmony was short-lived. Re-entering the black forest, the grass and small trees behind us began to sway then fall, enticing the butterflies back to my stomach. Our guides assumed it was the work of playful monkeys, so we continued our safari. And then! A loud thumping sound filled the air and the ground beneath us began to tremble. We turned instinctively to see a patch of grey, wrinkled skin emerge from the greenery.
“Wild Elephant”, Bijay screamed with a genuine, horrific urgency.
Informed that the danger of wandering into elephant territory was immense, we were urged to “Run” and seek refuge. My legs ached as I ran; my heart and lungs felt as if they would burst from natural adrenalin overdose. Like in a movie, I had to look back! Following us was a massive wild male rhinoceros. The prehistoric looking beast slowed then calmly shuffled across an expanse of land before stopping to graze on a collapsed plant. We needed no coercion to move within metres of the majestic creature, privileged that it was allowing us to be in his home and speechless in the moment.
Exhausted but completely overawed by the experience, the rhino and his wonderful country will be with me always. No zoo could ever compare!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!