The Test Of Life

Finalist in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

I wake up in a daze trying to adjust my eyes to the light, but all I see is black. I try to move around, but I can’t. I thrash and crash and do anything I can to get out. My heart beat getting faster. I hear a slight crack, so I move around harder and faster. Suddenly everything around me crashes and sand fills the air space.
I open my mouth slowly to speak but a river of wet sand falls into my mouth. My heart starts racing as I choke the sand back out, nearly coughing up a lung. I need to get out, I struggle to move my arms and legs, but it doesn’t do much. I could be stuck here forever. My heart is slamming against my ribs. I start to violently dig to the side of me, as I’m trying to figure out which way is up. Dry. Up will be drier. I have made enough room to move around as I dig what I think is up. I take big gulps of air - it’s running out. My whole body is shaking trying to find air. My lungs are burning. I’m going to die. I am going to die. Every small breath is like fire.
But suddenly, a breakthrough. I thrust my head into the outside world and take a deep breath. Shaking, I pull myself out from the sand, the sun almost blinding me. I’ve never been so thankful to just breathe. My body starts to relax as I realize how heavy I am. I look at my surroundings; beach towels, umbrellas, even people, but no one seems to notice me.
Heat takes over my body. I’m too tired to do anything, but I need to cool down. I need to get to the water. They’ll leave me here if I don’t get to the water.
Using all my strength I pull myself towards the water, but it just feels like I’m digging a hole. Suddenly, I hear swoosh, first there’s one, then there’s five, getting louder each time. I drift my gaze upwards, white and orange objects are flying towards me.
Seagulls.
I duck my head again and again, I do it so many times my neck aches. They peck my back like its hollow, and pain shoots through me, but I need to get to the water. I will be left here, they will go without me if I’m not in the water. My vision is blurring in and out of focus so much that all I see is a pale yellow. Just as I’ve given up all hope, a cool splash brushes up against me. I have made it. With the last bit of my energy I haul myself into the water.
Everything becomes clear. The sea feels so good I don’t want to leave. Seaweed to either side of me, my brothers made it too. And there’s my mum, the sea turtle.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!