Jail

“Stop! Don’t take her to jail!” screamed Mum. My eyes flew open, hearing Mum’s voice. I looked out the window, seeing the cop car. Pebbles followed close behind as I raced to the front door. Mum was there, talking to the officer. Not talking, actually, screaming.
“Come here little girl. You need to come with me.” The officer had a stern look on his face as he spoke.
“Please sir. Don’t take my little girl!” The officer lunged forward, grabbing my arm. He pulled me towards him and handcuffed me. Another officer pushed me into the car, buckled me up and slammed the door. Mum was balling her eyes out. I didn’t know what was happening to me. I felt a jab in my back. Liquid rushed through me, making me feel sleepy. The officers said that Mum didn’t have the right to keep me and that when Dad got home, he would be killed. They also said that Mum was never meant to have children, so I would be… That was all I heard before I fell asleep.

Bang! I woke up from the sound of the bang . “Ouch!” I rubbed my forehead. I had hit it on a bed above me.
“Shhhh, keep it down will ya. The guards will come and KILL you.” I jumped out of bed, looking up to see a dark skinned girl with black hair. She stared at me with her brown eyes. I stared back; fascinated that she looked so much like me, only with dark skin. The door opened and an officer stood holding a gun.
“Come here Rachel Callington. I’m here to let you out.” I followed him, wondering what would happen to that girl I had seen.

As I walked out, finally free of this place, I saw the girl. She was handcuffed and an officer had a gun to her back. A rope hung from a steel pole with a loop tied at the end. The officer mumbled something to the girl and she walked up to the rope. She slipped her head through and tightened the rope. She had just chocked herself to death. I turned around, not wanting to look at the dead girl’s face. I was led out of the jail. Mum was standing next to Dad with an officer with a gun to Dad’s back. “No! Not Dad!” I ran up to him, ready to punch the officer out.
“No Rachel. I’ve done bad and now I have to pay the price.” The officer poked Dad in the back, leading him to the rope. Dad put his head through, and whispered, “Goodbye Rachel.” The rope tightened and before I could reply, Dad was dead. Tears streamed down my face like a waterfall down a cliff. I hugged Mum hard, smelling the last smells of Dad on her.
“Lets go home Rach.” We got into the car and headed for home. From that day forward, I knew life would never be the same.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!