James' Trip To Polar Land

"Watch it, polar bear!" The waiting room was stuffy and hot, and the breath of the polar bears waiting in line smelt like rotten fish and seal fat. James could hardly breathe. This trip to magical Polar Land was going to be far more interesting than his recent trip to the Amazon. The itchy bites he had encountered there were still driving him mad. At least there would be no insects where he was going.
"Please fasten your seat belts," yelled the pilot's voice from the overhead speaker. The flight had been interesting - polar bears don't like flying and let's just say, the vomit bags were well used! Since global warming the polar bears had been forced to move around on planes, as their ice was melting.
James stepped out of the rancid cabin on to the ice. His treasure map was detailed and he was sure he would find what he was looking for within the week. But that's not what happened at all.
James looked behind him. He was sure that he was being followed and watched. The feeling you get when you know you are not alone. He had paid some polar bears to act as guides for him. They were always moaning about not being consulted, but they had soon disappeared and had left him to fend for himself in the wintery Polar Land. Further, and further he wandered, wondering if this map he had found on his last adventure to the Amazon was actually right. If he was lucky enough to find what he was looking for, he would be the best explorer ever. Children all over the world would be learning about him in their history classes.
"AHHHHH," he yelled as he fell down into a dark, icy cave beneath the soft snow.
Down and down and down he tumbled until he finally reached the bottom. Uninjured, James looked around. The cave was not completely dark, which surprised him as he had fallen for what felt like ten minutes. Ahead he could see a dark rocky shape, surrounded by a bright, white light - not sunlight - something different.
The explorer walked very slowly and cautiously across the slippery cave floor towards the rocky shape. James wandered if he should attempt to move the rock out of the way. It was huge, but James worked out and was strong. He would give it a go. What if the light behind it led to the treasure he was looking for?
The treasure was very big and precious. Stories said that the golden chest was made out of the finest gold in the world and it was hidden in a volcano's crater thousands of years ago. It also contained ancient Egyptian treasures from the pharaohs and also a magical map which would lead him to a volcano which erupted pure gold.
Bending low, James heaved. The rock didn't budge. James looked around to find something to help him move the enormous boulder like a log. Something caught his eye. Picking it up, he blew away the dirt which covered it. The rusted key beneath the dust was just like his car key from home. What on earth was going on?
With his back to the boulder, James did not see the shadowy 8 legged figure approaching. James should have stayed in the Amazon!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!