Name?

I turned over the paper, finished, done. The last paper I would ever complete. Well not really. You see, I am in second grade. I had just completed my spelling test of the week. For me, at the end of every test, I think of it as my last test till next Friday. If I think I have gotten all the words right I can think like that and feel relieved, but I know I got something wrong I can’t stand it and I cannot think of it as my last test. Wait, I just had a thought, did I put my name on my test? I had forgotten to write my name! Now I will get a 0 next to my name of the spelling chart.
I gripped my chair, my hands sweating like bullets. I glanced around; the test collector had just finished and was walking back toward the front, to the teacher’s desk with a pile of all the tests. It all happened in slow motion. My fingers tightened around my pencil as I flung myself off my chair knocking into the test collector scattering the papers everywhere. I lay in the aisle acting surprised. “Sorry, I’m so sorry. Let me help you,” I scrambled around on my knees stacking up all the papers. There it was, a non-named paper. I quickly bent down and scribbled my name. I slipped my paper into the stack and shoved them into his hands. I sat back down and exhaled. Wow that was close.
“Does anyone recognise this paper it has no name,” the teacher asked holding out the paper. I looked up to see who would come forward and collect their paper. Only a really dumb person would forget to put their name. No one came up. I looked at the paper to see if I recognised whose it was. Hey, I recognise that paper. I knew the person, but I couldn’t remember the name. Then it hit me, when I was scrambling around on the floor, I hadn’t bothered to check the writing. I had named the wrong paper, that one was mine!

By Madeleine

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!