Can I Survive This?

Baboom, Baboom, Baboom! Instant nerves shivered through my body and shocked me like an unexpected electric eel. My heart was beating like a mechanical object, as if a runaway train was uncontrollably coming towards me. Harsh bubbles of nerves and excitement floated around my empty stomach like a school of fish, swimming in the wide expanse of the transparent jewel sea which reflected amongst the assembly of menacing grey clouds. My cautious big brown eyes would not allow me to blink, scanning like wide lensed binoculars surveying their new surroundings. As I hesitantly ambled towards the emerald green gates which towered above me, my heart sank as I felt my tonsils instantaneously enlarge and it seemed that every breath was quickly holding me back. Can I survive this?
Through the sea of grey and white uniforms, a familiar face emerged. A wide crescent appeared on my face as rays of unexpected sunshine peeked through. My older brother gave me a reassuring smile - a sense of hope! I managed to control the earthquake within me about my very first day of high school.
All the year sevens huddled up together. Uncontainable hot tears flowed down my heart as I was overwhelmed at the sight of the overgrown boys before me. The fact was, none of my friends came to this high school. I let out a huge sigh. I picked myself up and dusted myself off, killing all the undesirable thoughts which pervaded my being.
Although the beckoning sun embraced me like a warm hug, I still remember the desperation - my lips were begging to move to make conversation with another student who was also in my predicament. I was sitting down and we just awkwardly glanced at each other with only silence streaming out.
A solid figure entered the hall and strode with a sense of authority and confidence - the Principal! At this point, my shoulders were touching my ear lobes. As soon as he commenced his welcome speech, my shoulders slowly eased back into place again as I felt a huge sense of relief. Yes! He’s a good one! He briefly outlined the expectations and the three important rules to which we should adhere to in our journey.
As the boat was brought closer to the shore to our awaiting parents, a whole new perception flourished in my mind as the sun brightened even more. All the ominous dark clouds had passed, along with my old, previous chapters of my primary school days. A wide, visible shadow of my grin shone at the now inviting school walls in which I was facing with my head held high. I stared ahead with deep contentment, at the reality that had now become true. My heart and mind were crying out happily as I accepted this new voyage. The atmosphere was filled with pleasant celebrations as I survived this day triumphantly.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!