Cancer Patient

Cancer patient
By Emily Mcgavock
an excerpt of my story


“Are we leaving for the netball game today or tomorrow?” yelled Rachel's Mum who was also the coach of the Mildura United netball club, “Haha very funny” called out Rachel with toast between her teeth.

“Drop back, now go forward!” yelled Rachel's Mum.
“What are you doing down that end Rachel, don’t go past the centre circle!” Rachel looked over her shoulder and rolled her eyes at her Mum, she sometimes thought what it was like to have a coach that wasn’t your Mum. At the end of the game all the girls went into shake hands, do their chant and then go off to their coaches.
“Good game girls, although we were lucky to come off with a win after that last quarter!” Colette said with a bit of frustration in her voice.

While Colette and Rachel were walking through the car park Colette said
“you need to focus on dropping and running forward, ohh and don’t go past the centre circle.”
“Ok, but I will promise I will stop doing that if you stop yelling at me about the littlest things o’kay, will you shake on that?”
As Corlette lifted her right hand, she lost control of the steering wheel. They swerved into an oncoming car, bounced off that hit and hit a gumtree.

When Rachel opened her eyes she was lying in a hospital bed.
“W...where is my Mum?” Rachel said with tears swelling up in her eyes.
The nurse that was looking after Rachel replied with a dark sorry look in her eyes “she’s in the other ward”.
Rachel interrupted “What ward, why can’t I see her, what ward am I in?”
“You're Mum’s in one of the other wards, you can’t see her because she is in serious pain, you are in the childrens ward” the nurse replied to all questions that Rachel asked.
“Well do you know what happened with me” Rachel asked
“luckily, you only broke your right ankle and you also have a quite a few bruises on your left foot, your forehead and seven stitches across your left hip. I might say Rachel, you're lucky to be alive due to the accident and you only broke one bone.”
Rachel didn’t ask any more questions and just closed her eyes.


A month had passed and Rachel went to see her Mum every day.
When Rachel went to see her Mum after school on a Friday, the nurse that had looked after Rachel called her into her office.
“Oh Rachel, your Mum hasn’t gotten any better” the nurse had a dark gloomy look in her eyes.
“Why what's happened? How has she gotten…..?” Rachel looked up at the ceiling to hold the tears in
“the doctors have found that your Mum has breast cancer” and with that said the nurse got up and left.

To be continued……...









FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!