If Only

Autumn leaves crunched against Aiden’s heavy boots. Sycamore trees ran down the path of the campus and it occurred to him that he should be in class, but he dismissed the thought. Life was too short for a Human Resources Lecture. Aiden would know. This was his ninth and final round. His soul had been corrupted by the sins of the physical body nine times. Each round, his form has fallen victim to lust, greed or pride. Each time he was renewed into the mortal world but he could not manage to redeem himself in the eyes of God. This was the final round and he could sense it. Not many people knew when they were on their final life but Aiden knew, he just couldn't do it. No matter what he did, he couldn't be redeemed. That is, until he met Amy. And there she was, waiting at his car. Amy was a girl in his Socio-Economics class. She was quiet and had a thoughtful way about her. That was his first thought when he saw her deep blue eyes. His hazel ones held hers prisoner from across the car park. He strode toward her with confidence.
“Amy.” He nodded at her.
“Aiden.”
They started to walk to their next class. He smiled. She didn't feel the need to fill the silence, which he appreciated.
“I know you know.” She whispered. Aiden glanced at her.
“I sense it in you. It’s my final round as well. I’m trying my best.” She looked down and Aiden enveloped his warm hand around hers as a gesture of support.
“Are you afraid?” She asked.
Yes, I’m terrified. But if I tell you, you’ll mock me.
“I’m nervous.” He said instead. She nodded, seeming to understand his hesitation.
They arrived at the door of their next lecture.
“How are you finding the class?” She asked. Aiden shrugged.
“It’s okay. I’m still a little confused about some of the determinants of health that we’re going through. But I’ll get there.” He said. Amy gave him a thoughtful smile.
“I can help you if you like? We can catch up after class and I’ll explain it?” She offered. Aiden glared at her.
“I don’t need help. I’m not weak.” With that said, he stomped off, forgetting that he needed to attend class. Oh well, he’d come back later.
“That was a bit of an overreaction.” Fiona whispered.
“He just doesn't know how to accept his limitations. It’s difficult for everyone.” Amy replied. She stared at Aiden as he walked in late, refusing to look at her.
“He was rude to you. Why are you defending him?” Fiona queried. As if he was aware he was the subject of their conversation, he turned around to them. Amy blushed at his intense gaze. He smirked and she knew was falling for Aiden. If only she could convince him he could be redeemed. If only she could convince him *he was worthy. For both Heaven and her. If only.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!