Jay's Big Adventure In Yellowstone!

Jay’s Big Adventure in Yellowstone!
Jay is an 8 year old boy and is about to begin a big adventure in Yellowstone National Park. Yellowstone National Park is the oldest national park in the world. The first thing he did was to go to the Information Centre. The whole family entered the information centre and one of the guides asked if Jay would like to become a Junior Ranger! Yeah, that would be awesome, said Jay. The guide informed Jay and his family that as you make your way around the park, you will need to fill out this Junior Ranger booklet. When Jay saw the booklet he said to his Mum and Dad, this is going to be lots of fun. The motto on the booklet said, “Explore Learn Protect.” As they drove along they had to do lots of things. Jay had to do things like catch a raindrop on his tongue and count the number of bison in Hayden Valley. There was a game of bingo which meant visiting all the sites in one row. Jay saw Mammoth Hot Springs, Steamboat Geyser and Black Dragon Caldron. Mammoth Hot Springs was Jay’s favourite spot as he got to feel the water at the springs. Jay couldn’t reach the water at the Hot Springs so his Dad picked him up and dangled him by the feet so he could feel the water. And it was warm! Which was weird because it was cold outside. When they got back in the car suddenly a big herd of bison came running for their car. They were so close that if the windows were down Jay could have patted one. Another thing Jay had to do was spot lots of different animals. He saw elk deer, long horn sheep, chipmunks, red squirrels, wolves, coyotes and bison. As the day went on, bison’s became a new favourite animal for Jay. For an 8 year old, Jay took in a lot of information. He discovered that there is only 70 moose in the whole park. Even the grizzly bear outnumber the moose. Jay finished the booklet and him and his family returned to the information centre to hand it in. They had spent nearly the whole day in the park. Before they left the centre Jay had to make a pledge that “As a Junior Ranger, I promise to learn all I can about Yellowstone and to teach others to love and respect its beauty, its plants, and its animals.” He even had to sign his name to the pledge. When he finished the pledge he was awarded his Junior Ranger badge. Yellowstone might be old, but it is a lot of fun! Jay said this was the most amazing thing in the world. I just love it here!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!