Halloween Hijinks

This year I decided to make my own scarecrow. I asked my dad to give me some old clothes and my mum to get me some straw. I decided to put it right in front of my window so I could always see it when I look out my bedroom window.
One night I heard rustling outside. I looked out my window and the scarecrow wasn’t there. I walk down the hallway and out the door. It was fairly windy outside and I could hear all the leaves moving around. I look around the area where the scarecrow was and it’s definitely not there. I start looking everywhere but it’s nowhere to be seen.
Finally after an hour of searching. I see it leaning against a tree. Its eyes glowing red. Then it started chasing me towards the house. I run inside and I swear the scarecrow was chasing after me. The mud is still clinging onto my clothes and the sweat and rain is dripping down my forehead. I burst into my parent’s bedroom and a shiver runs down my spine as I exclaim to my parents. My parents stared at me in complete disbelief. I’m as stiff as a board and I’m breathing heavily. I look out the window to see if the scarecrow is still out there. My stomach lurches as I hear the words, “Turn around.” I slowly and cautiously turn around and realise my parents have disappeared. Then finally I hear the words, “Two gone I to go.” My heart stops. I run as fast as a pack of cheetahs out of the house and towards the tall, towering wheat fields and I just run. I don’t know where I’m going or when I’ll see my house again. I can feel the scarecrow behind me. Then I think. Maybe I should just stop, turn around and face the scarecrow. I quickly stop and swivel around. The scarecrow ran right past me. Then as I look at the scarecrow, I realise the scarecrow has Nike shoes on. I walk towards the scarecrow. It was still facing the other way. I pull on the shirt of the scarecrow and it came off. Hang on a second. It was my uncle dressed up as a scarecrow. This was all a joke. My mum, dad and aunty came out of the bushes with a video camera. “HaHaHa. Jokes on you!!!” yelled everyone. Then they all told me how my aunty and uncle hid the scarecrow, put a speaker in my parent’s room and when I looked out the window they snuck out of the room. They said it was the best Halloween prank ever, but I disagree.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!