YOU'RE NEXT

For my 11th birthday I got a clown poster. It was 32x32cm in size. I’ve had it on my wall ever since.
Today is Tuesday. We have a public holiday, so there’s no rush. I smile as I lay in my soft, warm bed. I close my eyes and think of what I should do first. Maybe hang out at Flynn’s house? Or play video games? I can’t decide!
When I finally get up at 11 am, I look out my misty window. It’s pouring with rain. I guess I’m probably not going to Flynn’s today. I sit down on my bean bag (which feels like nails) and turn on the X-box. Nothing seems to happen. I try again and again, but nothing. I realise there’s no power. I go outside my room and call Dad. There was no response. I realise no one’s home. From the corner of my eye, I spot a note on the kitchen table. It’s from Dad.
“Hi Mate!” it reads “We are currently at work. It isn’t a public holiday today, it’s a school holiday. You’re on your own until 2pm! Love you, Dad.”
Looks like I’m on my own.
I turn around and hear an evil laugh behind me. I quickly spin around to find the same note that Dad had written, had been changed.
“Don’t Blink!” it reads.
I’m petrified. I start to sweat. The house suddenly gets dark. Bright green fog starts circling me, like a clutch of snakes. I slowly creep to the toaster. I am hungry so I whip out a piece of bread lying on the top of the toaster. But the piece of bread had a pile of pepper on it. The pepper pile goes in my nose. I try not to sneeze but I fail.
ACHOO!
When I open my eyes there’s a big piece of duct tape stuck to my mouth. I try to scream but no one hears me. I hear laughing everywhere. I see letters appear on the wall.
“FLADNAG…” A voice says.
What does that mean? I hear a little girl scream from my room. I run in and see a little girl with a half burnt face, lying down on my carpet with a knife sticking out of her head. I see a message on her burnt skin.
“You’re Next!”
I turn around and see a clown. It's the same clown on my poster. I look at the poster. There is now no clown on it! I realise that the clown from my poster, is a murderer. He slowly walks towards me. I turn around to run but there’s no escape. He then stabs a knife in my forehead. I fall down slowly dying.
Suddenly, I hear my name being called;
“Jaxx! Wake up!” It’s my mum. I look outside, it’s sunny. It was just a dream! Everything is back to normal. I hope…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!