Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining

Sarah skipped down the path and entered through the school gates. She was bursting to tell her best friend Jemma about her new dog, Davey. Sarah rushed to the bench where Jemma met her at the start of every school day, but Jemma wasn’t there. She wasn’t waiting patiently for Sarah to arrive. The bell rang and Sarah walked slowly, by herself towards her classroom. Maths dragged on and on, Sarah was bored and very lonely without Jemma. Jemma was always there to make Sarah laugh and to help her if she was struggling with something. A few minutes before morning tea, Miss Adams brought in a new girl. “This is Ingrid everyone, “said Miss Adams. “Today I would like,” Miss Adams scanned all of the children in Sarah’s class. “I would like… she repeated “Sarah to look after Ingrid for today.” Once the bell rang, Sarah approached Miss Adams and asked where Jemma was. “Ah, yes, Jemma’s been in a bad car crash, she’s in hospital,” Miss Adams told Sarah. All the colour drained from Sarah’s face. She just stared at Miss Adams, then slowly, she walked away. Ingrid followed Sarah outside into the playground. Sarah was really worried about Jemma, “I hope she’s okay” Sarah thought. Sarah felt alone without Jemma, even though Ingrid was there. Sarah’s heart felt empty. She had been with Jemma since kinder and Jemma had always been so careful, now she was in hospital. Sarah felt close to tears all through morning tea until Ingrid said “So what are your favourite things to do?” Sarah swallowed and replied “I like dancing and reading”, “Same!” yelled Ingrid excitedly. The two girls chatted all through morning tea, but all day Sarah was still worried about Jemma.

On Monday, a few weeks after the car accident, Sarah walked into school, excited to tell Ingrid about the new book she was reading. Out of the corner of her eye, Sarah spied Jemma sitting in a wheel chair, next to the bench where the two girls always used to meet and to her greatest surprise, standing next to her was Ingrid. Sarah raced towards the two girls. She threw her arms around Jemma and asked her how she was. “Is it okay if Ingrid hangs out with us today?” asked Jemma. “Wait, you guys are friends!” said Ingrid. “Yeah we’re really good friends” said Jemma. “I’ve been hanging out with Jemma while you’ve been gone!” yelled Sarah. “Well we’ll all hang out together at morning tea and lunch then” Ingrid said happily. It was the best day of Sarah’s life, she had a new friend and her old one back!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!