Bare Feet

I crept silently through the deserted streets of London, searching for boots to wear. Risky business, I knew that I’d get sent to jail if I was caught. But I didn’t plan on getting caught, and my plans always worked.
This one was no different; there was a shiny pair of leather boots sitting on the veranda of a large house. As I moved towards the boots a voice spoke from the shadows, “You’re coming with me.” It was a policeman.
I knew that there was no point complaining. Slowly, I trudged towards the policeman. “Why ya’ looking so glum kid? I’m not arresting you, I’m helping you escape!” He said.
“Escape from what?” I asked.
Suddenly, the policeman made a strange face and screamed “RUN!” I heard light footsteps and when I turned, an ugly man in a top hat and old fashioned coat made a grab for me. I’d heard rumours about him but before I could picture his name he made another grab for me so I ran in pursuit of the policeman. The figure was very fast and was gaining ground on me quickly. I kept running, into an alley I ran and up ahead, I could see the policeman. But he wasn’t running. As I neared him, he grabbed my shoulder and I came to a stop. “There’s a massive brick wall there you idiot!” He yelled. Somewhere in the distance, a baby wailed and the ugly man bounded away in search of the source of the distant noise.
“Who was that?” I asked.
“That, my new friend, was Spring Heeled Jack; terrorist, murderer and complete lunatic,” the policeman replied grimly.
The last thing I remembered was another two policemen knocking me out.
When I woke up I was in a dark room swaying back and forth in a sickening motion. The friendly policeman, whom I had escaped from Spring Heeled Jack with, was kneeling over me. “Hey mate, ‘ow ya doin’?” He asked in a very funny voice.
“Why are you speaking funny?” I asked wearily.
“We’re on our way to New Holland mate, so we be’er start practisin’ our accent. By the way, the name’s Kenny, ‘ow about yours mate?” He asked.
“Alex; and why are we on a boat?” I replied.
“We both committed crimes an’ the jails are full,” he said.
“Oh and where are the toilets?” I asked. Kenny pointed to a large metal bucket. “Umm... I think I can hold on,” I said.
The rest of the journey passed in a very slow blur. Sure, some guys died and that was never good, but really, what do you expect? A safe ride and five star food? No, it was more like a very dangerous ride and negative five star food.
On the morning of the 250th day, we arrived. It was time to start a new life. Not for the first time, I wished that I had just gone with bare feet.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!