Candle

As the flame flickers and dances and tickles my shoulders, I feel its warmth surround me like a cocoon. As a cool wind passes through the silent hallway, the fire moves in a way as if it were laughing hysterically to a side splitting joke.
It calms down slowly, swaying to the silent beat of a beautiful melody only it can hear. I look up, I can see the tiny amounts of smoke it's releasing into the atmosphere. It’s colour is easy, it reminds me of a warm fireplace on a cold winter’s night, welcome to anyone who needs to warm their dreary souls. It cannot hear nor see, it can only feel and give, it feels the cold nights and it gives us warmth on those frosty evenings when we so dearly need its gentle heat.
Its heat is so close to me, I can almost feel it burning against me, melting me. But fear not for me, for I am just a candle on the old stone mantelpiece, looking over a burning fireplace and sulking at my empty wick, imagining, wondering, if ever someone will light me again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!