Quick Sticks

Lucy, Bella and Bonny were best friends. They are all in the under 11’s Storm girls hockey team. “Yay!” Lucy cried as she ran to get a drink after another game, “We won!” The girls were versing the Wharratars, the best team. Lucy, Bella and Bonny couldn’t wait till their next training session. They were hoping that Lachlan, their coach, would let them play numbers. When Tuesday came around Lachlan had some disappointing news. “Sorry girls,” Lachian explained sounding sad, “You’re not going to be here in two weeks.” Lucy was getting very suspicious. “Why?” she cried. “Well you better read this,” Lachlan answered handing the girls a sheet of paper.
Dear Hockey players,
I am sorry to say that because the hockey stadium is so big and only two teams use it, the hockey stadium will be closed down. The stadium will be closed down on the 21st of August and be used as a tennis stadium. I hope you’re not too upset.
Yours Sincerely
Robert
Member of the Government
“No,” all the girls cried. “This can’t be happening to me,” Lucy wailed. “Why couldn’t they wait until I was in under 52’s or whatever it goes up to?” “Well if you’re that keen to help,” Lachlan said brightening up a bit, “you could come up with an idea.” The girls nodded, they understood, an idea to maintain the hockey stadium. Bonny agreed to come over to Bella and Lucy’s house to brainstorm ideas on Saturday. Bella couldn’t concentrate at school, but luckily Lucy and Bonny’s teacher understood them.
Finally Saturday came and the girls ate cookies and milk while they thought in glum silence and drew. After around about 30 minutes Bella suddenly said, “I’ve got it!” ‘What?” Bonnie and Lucy asked. “We can have a fundraiser,” Bella explained. “I will ask the principal to put it in the newsletter. We can bake cookies and cakes on Friday night.” When Friday came round the girls, especially Lucy was very excited. It had been arranged that the fundraiser would be held at the Marrara hockey stadium on Saturday. “Should we bake carrot cake or banana cake?” Bonnie asked. “Definitely carrot cake,” Lucy replied. “Chocolate cake and cookies of course,” Bella added. So the girls went to work. It was 8 o’clock by the time they were finished. They all fell asleep very quickly. On Saturday Lucy, Bella and Bonnie were very excited. When they got to the stadium there were people waiting there already. The fundraiser was great. Half way through they had already raised $212. Three parents said they would organise three more teams if the government changed their mind. Lucy even saw Robert there. “You can keep it!” Robert whispered into Lucy’s ear. The hockey stadium won’t close down. “Yay,” Lucy shouted.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!