Bankey And Bimbo

An idea suddenly came to Meg. She and her little sister, Maggie, were playing in the garden shed. Meg was holding her other sister, Libby, on her knee.
Meg loved animals, and her favourites were elephants and bilbies. They had adopted an elephant in Africa two years ago.
Libby was a typical one year old girl, with a face as cute as a teddy bear. Meg and Maggie both adored her.
Maggie was six years old and shared the same mischievous look in her eyes as her eleven year old sister, Meg.
“I’ve got it!” cried Meg. “We can give Mum and Dad a trip to Africa to see Bimbo! You know – our adopted elephant? I’m sure they would absolutely love it!” “Dat wite” said Libby, with a little giggle. She meant to say “That’s right.”
Meg and Maggie walked slowly back to the house, trying hopefully to get Libby to stand up and take a few tiny little steps with Meg supporting her. She did manage some, but mostly just fell over and rolled a little way down the hill. They finally made it to the house and quickly went up to Meg’s room to have a discussion about saving lots of money up to go to Africa.
“We could baby-sit?” suggested Maggie helpfully, with little giggles from Libby sneaking into the conversation.
A couple of days later they had saved $583.00. Only $501.00 more to save! Meg weeded Mrs. Sprout’s garden and got $50.00. After a few more jobs around the town and lots more hard work, another $128.00 had been saved.
Three days later, and only four more days until Christmas, Meg decided to tell Mum and Dad about their Christmas present to Arica. So they all went down to the lounge room.
“Mum, Dad, your Christmas present this year..” Maggie began and told them what was happening. After she’d told them the news, Mum and Dad exchanged nervous glances.
“Well, um, we kind of had the same idea!” said Dad, a little embarrassed. To his surprise, Meg and Maggie burst out laughing! They sorted it all out and Libby had a little fit of giggles. It sounded really cute!
Three days later Meg, Maggie, Libby, Mum and Dad were on the plane to Africa. It was a very comfy plane and the view was wonderful.
When they were collecting their luggage a strange thing happened. Libby opened her bag. To everyone’s surprise, a cute little bilby popped out! “Doobida!” said Libby. “We won’t take it with us,” stated Dad. Meg and Maggie begged lots. Finally he gave in. They named the bilby Bankey.
Settling into the hotel came fist, but then, on Christmas Eve, the family went to see Bimbo. Libby, Meg, Bankey and Maggie got lifted up in Bimbo’s trunk while Mum took photos. Bimbo gave them all rides.
In five days they were all home, and Bankey was in Africa as company for Bimbo. “Good happy holiday!” said Libby. Everybody well and truly agreed!!!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!