Lonely Fire

I closed my eyes, breathing heavily. With every breath I felt my head hurt even more. I felt the strong grip of my brother’s hand in mine. My body became consumed with an overwhelming heat. I screamed. I woke in a cold sweat, looking over at the clock I saw it was 2 in the morning. I couldn’t go back to sleep, not tonight. I went downstairs and grabbed the straps of my cello case. I went back to my room and opened the case. I noticed the sweat all over my body as I tightened the hairs of the bow. Terror consumed me. The images of my brother’s burning body consumed me, and to make things worse, it was I who had brought that fate on him. That night haunts me. I close my eyes and feel my hand race up and down the strings as my other arm controlled the bow. I let the music run through my blood as the memories all flooded back. That was the night when I was left alone. My mother’s drunkard ex-boyfriend came into the house that night, drunk and with a knife. My mother screamed at me and Adrian, my brother, to run. I took his hand and we ran as far as we could. We went upstairs and realised the windows were too high to jump from, so we hid in a dark closet in my brother’s room. That was the night I found out I was different. The fire raged from my palms and not long after caught anything in its way, consuming the house. My entire family died in the inferno, but somehow I was fine. I was barely singed at all. The pathetic excuse of a human being- David, my mother’s ex-boyfriend, died that night as well. It makes me sick even just saying his name. I’ve taken to music as it helps me forget. I grimace as I remove my fingers from the strings, the only time I can actually feel burns. I wait for a moment and return to the music, my fingers sliding as I play note after note. I lay down the cello and stare at my wall. My wall contains the only pictures of my family that I could salvage. My father died soon before my brother was born. If it wasn’t for photos I wouldn’t be able to remember him. My brother never knew him, the only father figure he ever had was the one time that my mother found a halfway decent bloke and stayed with him for a few months. He left because he couldn’t deal with my mother’s drinking. That was her only problem. In my reminiscing I became disconnected from reality. I was jolted back by a knock at the door. The only thing is, I live alone. Cautiously, I walked towards the door, standing, listening. A strangely familiar voice called my name. “Naomi!” The recognisable voice called. I open the door. “Adrian?” I ask. He grins.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!