O Restless Night!

O restless night! Restless if I ever did know it. Although I cannot feel it, I suppose it is quite cold – the miserable kind that can chill anything from the tip of a nose to a good mood. London is in quite a mood this December.
The wind is tossing and turning through the darkened streets. I don’t envy its agitated sleep – I was in peaceful rest moments ago, wrapped in a wooden blanket and blissfully unaware of the stench of sewage-soaked English soil. I lament being awoken: an old man deserves rest, and death from old age has a finality about it which should be respected.
I am wondering to whom I owe my awakening: he shall receive an onslaught of angry thoughts (I am regrettably unable to speak). Unfortunately I am still held by rigor mortis, which prevents my moving to view him.
I am strewn across a cart which is bumping along with the vigour of an overpaid moneylender, my head against the wood just the same. This, I imagine, hurts. Careful with the goods! Another bump brings my head to the side, and into my vision my captor’s arm, clad (ironically) in mourning black. I can’t much make out his features but for an aura of casual confidence. I imagine he frequents the grave-robbing trade. Hardly a respectable gentleman!
I wonder whom I might be sold to - and for how much! In these hard times, I doubt I’m valuable. I’ll probably end up with a doctor - I cannot imagine another use for a body and should like to keep my imagination quite inactive in that respect.
I see my purchaser now – a small fellow. As he draws closer, I see he is not a man, but a woman!
A laugh erupts above me, nearly stopping my heart. (Pardon the irony).
“‘Bit lost, Swee’hear’?”
“Quite the opposite, sir”
“’I’se told I was selling to a doctor. ‘Oo’re you?”
“I am a doctor. Elizabeth is my name. And yours, sir?” She says with unconcealed disdain. Educated gentleman he is, he overlooks it.
“I’d be Bill. And wha’s a woman be doin’ as a doc’or anyway?”
“With any luck, sir, earning enough to avoid a career such as yours. Also, I would be partial to overthrowing gender conventions.”
He stares blankly.
“If you ain’t able to be payin’ me Miss –“
She produces a wad of cash.
“Will this be sufficient?”
Without awaiting a reply, she pulls my cart away, leaving Bill’s mouth so open, I fear, he might contract diptheria.
As my lifeless eyes watch her hand, I am stuck by the simplicity of the matter: such slender fingers surely have greater precision with a scalpel than male claws. London should be employing women as doctors! What a time to be alive! (Ahem). I would, however, be lying if I said being dissected appealed to me, but there is hardly anything I can do about it. Ah, well. All in the name of science I suppose.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!