Out Of Square

“It was incredible, but not distinctive when I first realized it.
But as time passed, it became a pure success, delight, and….”
Pure success, delight, and what? I always need a dramatic thus unique entry to my diary, yet it always seem too cliche. I hate cliches and anything defined normal! I racked my brains, thinking of all the synonyms I can think of “success”. Nothing came out other than victory, achievement, which do not fit the sentence….BAM!
“Heyyy! Whatcha doin’?” an enthusiastic voice rang through my head.
“Urrrrrr. What?” Reine exclaimed.
“Heloooo! Why are you making a moai-ish face? Are you in looo...?”
Evyline’s mouth was covered by Reine’s.
“Say no more, I don’t have time for this.”
Reine closed her laptop and slid into the back compartment of her backpack.
She stood up and said, “Let’s go.”
They were heading off to a building, an extraordinary one.
Reine flung open a heavy wooden door. The ones you often see at museums. Then just like a museum, there were several people waiting at the counter. The uniform was elegant, navy suits with lilac scarves or neckties. One of them smiled and said “Hello, welcome to the AMT museum. What can I do for you?”
“We’ve come to attend the AMT youth conference,” Evyline replied. She added, “My name is Evyline and she is Reine.”
Reine turned away from an old gramophone recorder and nodded.
“Ah! The members of the meeting will be gathered on 2nd floor at the conference room, right next to the trimline room. You’ll see old trimline phones in there. This is the map,” she said kindly as she unfolded a large map.
The lady added on, “But it is quite early isn’t it? I’m afraid no one else has arrived yet. Would you like to look around the museum?”
“Thank you, but we’ll wait at the conference room.” Replies Evyline.
She pulled Reine and strode of to the elevator.
To their surprise, there were five elevators, all looking completely different from each other.
Reine gasped. There was an old fashion elevator with wooden frames and quite open from outside. An elevator operator beside it wearing a mahogany uniform. He greeted the two girls with a broad smile, and they greeted back. Another elevator had gold lines and patterns covering the whole door. The patterns were complicated and magnificent. The third one had retro drawings and comic pages. The little light bulbs surrounding it were electric blue and gave the whole entrance a dazzling look. The fourth one had a future sci-fi touch to it. Its shiny silver doors just fitted the red buttons and the sleek black panel.
The fifth one was the most unique for the two girls. With four superb looking elevators beside it, the one on the far right side was very plain. It was a plain black door. It wasn’t even polished. The only unique feature of it was the yellow tapes saying “CAUTION” crossed across.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!