Caitlyn Sparks

The room was small, closed in. There was no way out. The cold watery liquid begins to surround my feet and cover my ankles. I knew that I only had minutes, before the water would reach my waist and I would be a few short seconds from being completely helpless. This watery grave would be the last thing I see, not my Mother, not my friends. Just this glass room, filling with ice cold water. I can’t believe it. This is going to be the place I die.
Bloody hell.
The water’s clinging to my shoulders now. It’s starting to get hard to move. The icy waters pouring out of this pipe are making my body stiff, frozen almost. Is this really it? Is this really the thing that is going to end my life? This is stupid. This is god damn stupid. This is a god damn stupid way to die.
***
“Innocence is merely just a word.” I never did understand my teacher, Mr Dickson, when he read us this sentence. No one did for that matter. Then again, we’re all a bunch of Year 9’s, none of us understand anything.
But today, as I was dragged to the room where my life would end, I finally realised how clueless I’d been. ‘Innocence is merely just a word.” I get it. No one is innocent. Everyone has sins. Everyone deserves karma. So does that means I’m not innocent? I deserve to die. Or am I completely wrong. Am I just delusional? Am I turning mad from being held captive in this torturous building? I don’t even know anymore. I don’t know anything except for the fact that I am completely terrified. I don’t want to die. I don’t. Please, I don’t. But I can’t keep going. I can’t hold on.
***
It’s all over. It’s done. I’m free. No more pain. No more. My whole frail body is completely covered in ice. I’m gone. No one’s ever going to see me again. This world has one less innocent person. What a wonderful thing that is. For the first time ever I’ve actually been glad to close my eyes. My eyes will be shut for eternity. They’ll be closed forever and I’ll never be able to see this world again. I’ll never be able to see this cruel, yet hauntingly beautiful world again.
***
Stars. They’re an art. They are neatly painted specks dotted on to a black canvas in the sky. They were my favourite. I used to stare at them for hours on end and think of the amazing things that lie among them. All the secrets each of them held. I used to believe that stars were magic you know. I used to think that if you dreamed hard enough one of them would fall down at your feet and grant you a wish. If only that was true. I would give anything to be able to see a single night filled with stars for the last time.
***
How do you end a story? If it’s not a happy one, you can’t say “Happily Ever After.” And then ruling that one out, there’s hardly any other good endings to a story. So I guess I’ll have to come up with my own ending. Here goes.
***
My name is Caitlyn Sparks. I am 15 years old and have gone my entire life doing good. But the world did not need me anymore. And decided it would be a good idea to get rid of me completely. No one knows how I died and I’m not prepared to tell you. What I will tell you is, no matter how hard you try to be the best you can be, it’s never going to be good enough for our world. Yes, that does sound harsh. But no one told you this would be a story about life lessons and morals. This is simply just a story about me. Caitlyn Sparks. And I, unfortunately, do not exist on this planet anymore.
I am Caitlyn Sparks, and I will forever be a mystery.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!