Synchronicity

The bunker shuddered. The tin roof rattled madly under the heavy artillery. Charles staggered towards Anne, who on her sparse four-poster, was distracted by the flickering lamp.
11:41pm. Charles raised his army knife and uniform, staring at the shoulder where his insignia once was. Trapped inside a cacophony of explosion, Charles’ hands reluctantly shook. Suddenly, Anne sat up, simultaneously calling for her father.
“Papa, please finish the story from last night!” begged Anne, who gestured towards her scarce stack of books.
“Not tonight sweetheart ...” responded Charles, still shaking. Heat ran through his body, through his limbs; to the tips of his fingers. Tears erupted in his eyes; getting heavier and heavier. He knows what’s coming ... But will not believe so. Oblivious to her father’s state, Anne climbed upon his lap, pleading.
“Ok, where…?” said Charles, turning to a familiar page.
“He asked her to dance,” interrupted Anne.
“Ah ... She was the fairest princess of all.”
“Wonderful music began as he took her hand. They fell in love on the first step. The world around them slipped away, like they were the only people in the room. But, when the handsome prince was about to announce who would become his bride...”
Anne trembled in her father’s arms, when the tin rattled again as if on cue.
“…the dark-fairy appeared. Although, the prince showed ignorance to her presence, until she began speaking. ‘I’ve given you what you desire! I’ve given you your princess. So, you must give me what I desire; what you’ve promised in return. Give me your most prized possession!’ demanded the fairy. The prince immediately sent for his rarest treasures, his noble steeds, even his treasured kingdom, but she refused…”
Anne interrupted, “But she wished for them?”
“The prince honestly believed so. ‘I’ve presented my dearest possessions!’ he said. ‘Wait. Unless ... No ...’ the dark fairy wickedly smiled and taunted the prince, then said ‘Don’t play games with me dear prince! I know where your heart truly lies.’
Bewildered, the prince realised he was being tricked by the dark fairy, just like the good fairies had assured. He and the princess ran while the guards surrounded the fairy, but she disappeared in a flash.
Both worlds held their breath, unaware of what might happen next.
“They dashed through the castle, but at every corner, at every turn, the dark fairy appeared before them. So they hid within the treasure chamber.”
Explosions and amplified thunder rocked the earth. Screaming, Anne threw her arms around her father.
“There was no escape.”
The lamp flickered one last time. Horror lurked from outside — homes burning, people screaming, alarms screeching. Anne uncontrollably shrieked. Consoling her, Charles continued in a husky voice.
“The prince knew why she wanted the princess, but he must save her, even if it destroyed his world.”
Unwelcome footsteps reached the door...
“The castle bell radiated through the castle. Holding his princess close, he knew only one way to save her ...”
A terrific crash, was heard from outside the bunker.
“I’ll never let you go. I promise,” she felt the tension in his embrace; the drumming of his heart.
Two, three crashes.
“You’re safe.”
Four.
His hands pulled away...
Five, six.
“I want you to know…”
Seven.
The door scraped. Charles kissed Anne’s hair.
Eight.
A shadow ... A fleeting flash...
Nine.
She squirmed, but he held her tight. “Papa?”
Ten.
Another horrific shadow, more terrible than the last.
Eleven.
“Papa, what are you doing?”
The clock struck midnight.
“I love you princess.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!