Can She Do It Or Will She Fall...

The sweat drips down my face as my mind plays tricks on me that I am dreaming. I don't want to be here. No spy would ever want to be here.
* * *
As I gaze out the window I feel like I am surrounded by a sea of blue; the weather is great this time of year. Although the scenery is gorgeous, my plane trip seems to be taking forever and I'm starting to worry that I'll be too late! My parents think I'm at Gran's staying a few nights, but what they don't know is that I am on one of the most dangerous missions any spy will ever have to face.
I quietly asked the flight attendant the ETA. "Shouldn't be much longer than 30 minutes," she replied calmly, continuing to inspect compartments as she passed. Knowing that in less than one hour the deadly bomb would be in my reach got me planning ahead on how I would deal with this. Hot, dry and deserted. The Australian desert is everything I expected.

Touch down. I grabbed my equipment and the GPS in my hands told me exactly where to go. Shortly after I came to an electrified fence that surrounded the bomb, that in 1 hour is going to explode and take the whole of the Northern Territory with it! Walking towards the bomb was like walking into a death trap. Quickly I grabbed the laser ring out of my gadget belt and cut the electric fence. The noise of the laser against metal was deafening.

After an intense 25 minutes trying to disable the bomb by cutting wires and pushing buttons it still wasn't working. Snap! Oh no, the last cut of wire made the timer speed up! I knew I should have paid more attention in geek training. Suddenly I heard someone creeping up behind me and without a second thought I turned, with my leg high in the air and..... stopped. Facing me was a masked woman, dressed all in black (like me), with her hands up. "I am here to assist you. I work for the same agency as you, ASSA. I can help," the women said sincerely. She looked very fit and for some reason I believed her."Fine, you can help but don't pull any stunts or you'll wish you hadn't!" She knelt down next to me in a familiar manner, punching buttons as fast as she could in a certain, knowledgable order. I could feel the sweat streaming down my face. 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2...... It had stopped!
A sigh of relief swept through my body. Just the sound of my heart beating normally again made me feel more in control. "Thank you so much. You didn't just save our lives; you saved the whole of the Northern Territory! You are a hero!"
"No one can know I was here! Please promise me you won't tell anyone!" she said worriedly. "I promise."
The helicopter roared above me and I knew it was time to leave. As I raced to the waiting helicopter, I turned around one last time and saw the mysterious lady walking away, but with her mask off and smiling back at me! I don't believe it! ....... It can't be............ I know who she is.............. She's my mum!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!