Rain

RAIN

Rain. I'm sick of this damn rain. It's been like this for weeks, the world seems bleached of colour. Hollow shells of what used to be my neighbours, hobble along the side walk in black and grey rain coats fading into the dingy surrounding. The occasional car will drift past leaving a ghostly vapour trailing behind it. A sudden screeching sound snapped me to attention just in time to see a large silver bulbar smash into me. Everything went black and silent.
As I opened my eyes I saw something I hadn't seen since the rain started. Colour, a crimson red that swirled and rippled in the water that filled the street .I smiled as I watched the magnificent liquid wind its way into the gutter and down the drain. My smile quickly faded when I realised that I was the source of the red liquid. I reluctantly gazed down to see half of a stop sign protruding from my chest. I gritted my teeth and squinted my eyes as I tried to move and failed. I just sat there staring at the mangled hole that was my chest. I was awoken from my state of shock when a black figure faded into view. This one was different to the regular gloomy figures that roamed these flooded streets. Its presence calmed and frightened me. It moved without disturbing the water but the most noticeable and terrifying difference was the staff it held in its right hand, with a large blade at one end. As it strolled towards me, I tried to move, just to have pain burst through my body. When the hooded figure reached me it said nothing, it just looked at me. I could feel it examining me, watching the blood flow from my chest and mix with the water. Then I felt it gazing right into my eyes. Its’ voice was deep and slow, it echoed in my head, "Unlucky. Close your eyes, relax." I did as I was told.
The second I closed my eyes, a white light filled them and I became aware of a slight pressure on my chest, someone talking to me, "Daddy wake up its breakfast time and we’re out of milk." I opened my eyes to see my daughter bouncing on my chest, "Mmm Sophie I was sleeping. Arrr, it’s still raining. I'll go get some milk". I got out of bed and slid my poncho on as I stepped out the door. I'm sick of this damn rain.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!