Candlelight

Candlelight
Smoke wafted in the air as screams of fright filled the lungs of the tourists and citizens passing by. New York was sprinkled with flames and puddles of ash whilst firetrucks lined the sidewalks, alarms blaring, lights flashing. The buildings were covered with ash and were crumbling like landslides, the windows were lit by fire and disaster was happening on every floor. The meteors were falling like shooting stars, causing more work for firefighters to keep under control. But this wasn’t a small problem, this was global. This was the end of the world.

A dark, abandoned ally way was lit by the enormous flames that blocked the exit. Garbage bins, crates and boxes were overflowing out of corners, and bricks scattered the concrete floor like autumn leaves. More meteors were hurtling towards Earth, some destroying memories and others creating new ones. A light was flickering under the debris, small but warm. A girl was hiding from her troubles, wishing they could obliterate in front of her. She was small, and covered in ash, her hair was in knots, clothes torn, scars and wounds covered her arms and legs. She was looking for a new hope, something to keep her mind off her mum and dad, crushed by the large, fiery stones. A candle was gleaming, but was slowly dying as the cool, harsh winds whipped at her face. She coughed uncontrollably at the suffocating, black smoke, the world getting smaller and smaller.

At same time a stricken creature was desperate for shelter. The ash filled puddles splashed against the Labrador’s fur as it pounded on through the devastation. Heavy breathing, heart racing, fear stricken. Everything was happening at once. The dog looked up to see a bright ball of fire filling the sky. People screaming, fires blazing, sirens blaring. Its path was blocked. There was nowhere to run. The fire surrounded the scared hound, closing in every second like a pride of lions. Broken glass stabbing the stray’s feet like needles. There was no hope left for the charcoal animal, its brown eyes staring into its death. But then, another meteor fell from the heavens, a falling spear, striking the top of the Empire State Building. “CRACK’, the tower split in half and fell with a roar of debris, shockwaves sending glass raining down on the streets. The fire wall vanished with a “WHOOSH” and the dog ran into the same dark alley way, where the girl was cowering. The dog whimpered, its face lit up in the candlelight. She saw its solemn face, wanting company. She knew she needed it too, as death was close. She embraced the dog, thinking her of her parents. As the end came closer, a small salty tear fell. The candle flickered. Everything went black.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!