You Can’t Run From Your Fears

The golden rays of the setting sun beamed through the open windows, making the room feel a lot more open than usual.
But this room still was dark; every corner was dark, like an endless black void. Ever growing more and more as each beam of light faded.
The sun was going down quicker than I liked it. I hated this, every day was the same. When the sun was out, I was free! But when the sun went down; it was a completely different story.
Fear, anxiety, panic formed in my chest or the pit of my stomach. Heart racing, I watched the final light of the beautiful sun finally disappear under the horizon.
This left me in utter darkness, my mind was gone. I could not think straight, my body was numb.
I was paralysed.
I was vulnerable like prey, sitting out in the open, just waiting for whatever to come and kill me.
I sat myself at a small wooden table, only meant for two. An empty chair sat opposite of me. I kept my eyes on that chair; everything around me was too dark to see.
A minute past, a long minute and my heart was still going, as if it trying to jump out my chest.
Suddenly a wave of emotion crashed against me like waves against rocks. Sadness clouded my mind; I felt empty, depressed and even heartbroken.
Tears blocked my vision, as quickly as I could. I closed my eyes shut.
I can do this, I’m an adult. I can’t run away from my fears.
The first stage is easy, come on. I can do this.
As I predicted, stage one (what I call it) began. Heavy knocks banged on the wall behind me.
One,
Two,
Three,
Four.
I sighed in relief, stage one was over. But as soon as it ended, another had started.
Stage two, the scratching began. A felt the table vibrate from whatever was scratching the table.
5 seconds after it stopped. I was confused; it should have gone on for longer than that. I studied the pattern too well for it to confuse me.
So out of completely interest, I opened my eyes. The chair in front of me was gone. I was confused. I stood up, even though I couldn’t see a thing in this room. I looked around, looking for the missing chair.
After looking at every corner, I finally spotted the fine outline of the chair on the overside of the room. I slowly walked up to the chair, as I got closer. I started to notice someone sitting in it.
I started to get scared. I step slowly to the chair; when I finally got to the wooden chair. I saw more and more of the person who sat on it.
I made my way around, finally getting a good look at the person.
That person, my fear all along… was me?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!