Eleanor

As I wake to the sound of a harp’s music, I place my hand on my chest and can feel my beating heart wanting to break out of my flesh. I sit up and almost float out of my solid gold and silver bed and as I neatly make it, run the soft, smooth sheets through my palms. Today is the big day. I, Eleanor, will be awarded my well-deserved Ruby Gem, the symbol of trust, courage and protection from the townsfolk. I smell fresh cinnamon and rose in the air, swirling through my nostrils. I grab my bow and arrow and head out the door.
This is not how I expected it to be. The smell of fear in the air thickens and surrounds me. Around me there is screaming, terror, fires smoking – turning buildings into ash and most of all, shame and failure, and it is rising up and out of me. I have failed my people. My eyes sting as I see a woman, shrivelled over like a dying flower, protecting a strangling and crying baby. What am I supposed to do? All the friendly, familiar faces that look up to me are just fading away like they never existed. I see a shadow come at me from behind and latch onto me too. What will I do?
I don’t want to die now! But most of all, I can’t fail my people. I just can’t fail the people who raised me, and now, look up to me. I can taste my own adrenaline as I ferociously kick my attacker from behind. It lets go of me in pain and I see its piercing stare fade away. I quickly draw my arrow and brush it against my bow as I aim, ready to strike. I can feel my hands shaking as I smoothly release the arrow and its awaiting blade. Wait…my enemy was just a wooden crane! My well-known father steps out from behind it. His wrinkles move carelessly as he talks: “Well done, my Eleanor! You have passed your first test!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!