Jars

Auntie Nikki was always my best mate, we used to do lots of fun things together. This is my favourite and most cherished memory. RIP 27.11.15

A subtle breeze floated around the house, blowing the wind chime around. Sweet sounds of the farm filled the air. Sitting on a rocking chair out on the veranda, admiring the newly finished garden. “Jess, I have all of the art supplies, and the jars” Auntie Nikki placed the items on the small round table. “OK so how do we do this again?” I looked over at her. She found the picture of the jars on the internet, they were hanging from a branch of a tree decorated with coloured string and beads. I took my worn chestnut coloured hat off my head and sat it on the old creaking chair, stood up and walked over to the stack of goods on the table. Her old dog Joey was weaving between our legs and barking with joy, he always loved bounding around the garden like a hare frolicking in the woods. Finally he settled at Auntie Nikki’s feet, curling up into a ball. Silently Auntie Nikki and I began to craft the jars, we always loved doing artsy projects together. Out in the dry heat of the working farm, we continued to thread bead after bead onto the string. Chatting about school and any problems we might have. I could feel Joey’s hot breath tickling my legs. Before long we were sweating profusely,so we decided that we should go for a little dip in the spa. We jumped around in the bubbling water till it got late. The glistening moon came out and the sun hid behind the clouds, we would continue the Jars in the morning. I climbed out of the spa and sat on the deck, listening to the wind in the trees. Auntie Nikki hung a towel around my neck and sat on a chair beside me, I wrapped the towel around myself to keep warm. Mosquitoes landed on me and bit my skin, so we went inside her house. The old floorboards creaked under my light step as I walked over to the bathroom to have a bath. I put lots of bubble bath in to make lots of bubbles, I had a fun time playing music and dancing in the bath. Finally I stepped out and wrapped a fresh towel around myself and walked over to the spare room. I got dressed and trotted out to the living room. Auntie Nikki was sitting in her plush grey chair. I slowly walked over to the table and sat on the granite shaded rug next to it. We finished the night watching tv, and eating popcorn. I walked back to the spare room and climbed into the wooden framed bed, by the window. The curtains flapped around in the warm breeze, as I fell asleep.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!