Kat's Escape

One day a young woman met a young man. In a whirl wind of a romance, they fell in love, married, and had a child. But the man, realising the child was interfering with his work, left, leaving the woman to raise the child on her own...
Katrina Engels lived in London in an old ugly place called Anne Marcella’s home for girls and boys.
A little horrible place where girls and boys, whom nobody wanted, lived. She had no other place to go seeing as how her mother was in goal and her father was probably dead. He may as well be, thought Katrina. Abandoning Ma like that! Leaving her to raise me all alone. He’s the one that should be in goal... Katrina was roused from her thoughts by a voice.
“Kat, Miss Minchin is waiting for you. I’m so excited! You might get adopted like I am!” squealed Annabelle, a little girl from the orphanage. Kat lifted her skirt and trudged back up to the dull building. The girls were made to line up. Kat obediently took her place in between Lacey and Stacey (the twins). She stared out of the window hoping that this wretched place would blow away in a fierce London storm. She sighed and forced herself back to the present. Kat was surprised that Miss Minchin was staring at her.
“Well, what is your answer darling?” said the young woman questioning her.
“I’m sorry, I wasn’t listening.” She replied.
“Oh! Well she won’t do! Not listening to instructions or anything! Goodness, this little...” she went on and on as if Katrina wasn’t there. “I will be telling everyone I know about this girl and advising them to never come here and I shall certainly never, ever be coming back ever again!” the posh woman stalked out sniffing. Katrina knew what was coming next.
“YOU LITTLE TWIT!” roared Miss Minchin. “Up to bed! And there will be no supper FOR ANYONE!!!” The other girls cast dirty looks at Kat as they trudged up the stairs to their different dormitories.
“It wasn’t your fault Kitty.” Reassured her friend Mike. She was sitting on the floor in one of the boy’s dormitories. Mike and Oliver were abusing Ms. Minchin. It didn’t help much but was good fun. Kat sighed, she knew what she had to do.
“Mike, I’m leaving. Cover for me.” She said.
“WHAT?” yelled Mike.
“Yeah what do you want us to do?” asked Oliver “Dress up in a wig and prance around with- “
“You’re leaving? For real?” cut in Mike.
“Yeah. Is that ok? Mike, are you ok?” she caught sight of him. He was pale and shocked.
“Ok, f-fine” he said shakily.
“Thanks, you’re the best.” She replied.
Kat gave both of them a quick hug then climbed out the window. She looked down the street briefly deciding where to go. She turned down Gillian alley and ran...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!