Understanding With Ignorance

“Mr Whattley, she has depression.” Instinctively, Peter’s defence for her ignited in him like an embarking flame, yet the fuel seemed to stop at his mouth. He tried to look into her eyes, the sparkle seemed to glow, like they always did, with the compassion of a kind spirit. He glanced back at the Doctor:
“Are you sure? She was so lively before, it was only just one instance of-“
“Depression doesn’t occur like that. It’s an on-going illness that is developed. It is best to treat this immediately.” Albeit being a short silence afterwards, it was congregating the uncertainty that distilled the man. He understood what the Doctor’s ramblings were about; but to affect her? Suddenly feeling uncomfortable with the velvet chair, he strolled around the room, daring not to glance and thus comprehend the Doctor’s conclusions.
“I, I don’t believe you understand who you’re saying has this sickness.” Juxtaposed to the Doctor’s desk, Peter took a glass above the sink, eyeing the warped reflection. “Like, I get that people get the blues and whatever…” He gradually turned the tap on, the gradual trickle of water being somewhat tranquil in this ‘hostile’ space. “-But really she has never SHOWN anything that could mean-“
“Mr Whattely, you cannot ignore how she is.”
“WHAT THE HELL DO YOU KNOW?!!” He yelled as a concoction of anger and denial blinded the man, shattering the glass in his hand. Through the Doctor’s fifty years of experience, he sternly (though hesitantly) gestured towards the door behind him, “Leave this room, such calamity is frightening her.” Whilst the aftermath of the rage came down like the piercing pain spiked through his arm, he took a small breath and, without seeing her horrified countenance, proceeded out the door.

Through each corridor passage, through each drop of blood trickling down onto his other cupped hand, another thought swirled through his dismayed head:
"Did I do something wrong?"
"Maybe she just needs more friends, to be outside more."
"I just don’t know…"
Four corridors away, he turned into the male bathroom. Finding paper towels, he desperately applied them, a single magnum opus of pain shooting before dimming. Despite its dilution, he tightly closed his eyes, either trying to confront the war in his mind, or really shutting himself from the reality. After a moment- which could have spanned one minute to ten- he released his eyes. In the spur of adjusting his perception, he noticed something in the mirrored reflection, behind the deep blue eyes: a little boy, cowered in a puddle of his own tears- despair drowning him in the ocean of neglect. Like an epiphany, the man understood… He finally understood.

He entered and sat beside her, stroking her short brown hair. Ignoring the Doctor’s inquiries, he gently whispered to her: “I’ll be there Bella. Through this and beyond, I’ll be there.” Hugging her, a tear rolled down his cheek as she licked him affectionately. Because together, they’ll exit the veterinary clinic with understanding… without ignorance.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!