Earthquake

Earthquake

I was just drifting off to sleep when the earthquake fell. The sound of cracking was deafening, it was louder than thunder. I woke up with a startle. I was frightened and confused. Questions ran through my mind, “Am I dreaming?” and “What is happening?” Before I knew it mum was screaming my name. But I was too startled to move. It was as if my limbs had frozen. Mum came running towards me, her face ghost white except for the crimson blood that was relentlessly running down her cheek from a deep gash.

Shattered glass lay scattered on the ground. The dirt and dust that was lingering in the air like a foul smell was making me cough and sneeze. The sound of dogs barking and people screaming and yelling was making me feel so small, that I had to force myself not to hunch my shoulder and huddle on the floor in a small ball.

Mum gently placed her hands on my shoulders and we both looked at the mess scattered around us. Sadness swept over me. Would life ever be the same again?

I slowly started to pick up the glass on the ground, bending low to hide my tears. How could I let mum see? I had always been the man of the house since dad died. I had to stop crying. I needed to be brave for mum and dad. I needed to make them proud of the person I had become proud of the person they had raised together. I dried my tears and a new hope awakened in my heart.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!