Rachael's First Friend.

Tears fell like crystals from Rachael’s lonely eyes of emerald. She curled tighter into a ball, bringing her legs up to her chest and leaning her head on her knees, feeling the ache in her chest grow as she sat in her small bubble of confusion, unhappiness and longing. All around her, the school atmosphere was filled with laughter, smiles, and chatter. Everyone had someone they could call a friend. Except her.
‘Why do I have to be autistic?’ She wondered despairingly. ‘If only I didn’t find it so hard and confusing to speak to people. Then I might be able to make friends.’
She sighed tiredly and shakily wiped her tears away with the back of her hand. She looked at the friendships surrounding her and it made her even more desperate to be part of it. It hurt to know she would never find a friend like the ones her classmates had. Who would want a book-mad, shy, school whizz for a friend? She choked back another sob and closed her eyes.
A moment later, she felt someone slide down next to her. Slowly, she opened her eyes and carefully, she looked sideways. A girl, about her age was sitting there. She had a blonde bob of sunshine locks and her sky blue eyes were framed with white rimmed glasses. She had an aura of downheartedness and misery, but she glanced cautiously over at Rachael. Rachael felt her scared, lost, sad eyes meet with the nervous, worried, dismayed eyes of the other girl. A small flame of something sparked between them as they gazed at each other, but then Rachael looked quickly away and the spark diminished. There was a long silence.
“I’m April.” The girl stated eventually. There was another awkward pause before Rachael spoke.
“I’m Rachael.” She whispered.
“I’m new.” Rachael looked at the girl again in surprise. She hadn’t known a new girl was coming. Her mind began clicking over with possible things to say, and although not all of them seemed quite right, there was one that Rachael thought might be alright.
“Have…” She began awkwardly, “H-have you…uh…met anyone…here yet?”
“No.” April sighed despondently. “I’m autistic, so making friends is really hard.” Rachael felt as if someone had ripped the breath out of her.
“Y-you're autistic?” She asked breathlessly, staring straight at her. April nodded. “I…I am too!” Rachael cried and April looked directly at Rachael, her eyes wide.
“Really?”
“Yes!”
The two girls looked eagerly at each other, all shadows of sadness gone.
“Would…would you like to be friends?” April asked hopefully. Rachael’s heart skipped a beat. Friends. Someone actually wanted to be friends. She could hardly believe it.
“Yes.” She whispered, and then “Yes!” Her eyes gleamed. “I’ve longed for a friend, but…I-I’ve never known how to make one.”
“Me either!” April laughed, “But I think we just did!” They embraced and Rachael felt a warm tingle rush through her. She had never felt so happy.
Perhaps making friends wasn’t so hard.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!