The Fugitive

I look at my surroundings. Everything around me is a blur of orange and gold as Autumn sets in.
I’m deep in the woods, surrounded by Oak trees whom I have slowly grown to love, the ones who have sheltered and cared for me this whole time.
The sun starts to set on the horizon, turning the sky a beautiful blend of pastel pink, purple and gold. I heave a sigh, knowing in the back of my mind that this will be the last one I ever see. With effort I managed to push the thought away.
No. I tell myself. I am a survivor. I have survived this long and will continue surviving. I can do this.
But all the same I still glance around nervously, each shadow seeming more menacing than before, each creaking branch sounding like a wild animal. I scold myself for thinking like this.
Don’t stress. I tell myself. They never come at night. They are scared of the forest.
That is why I am here. The forest is my protection. It is a part of me now I have lived here for so long. In the midst my thoughts I drift slowly off to sleep.
I wake the next morning to see weak sunlight filtering in through the trees. It bounces off the red scar on my side, causing it too glow. I stare the mark; the very one that was placed on me not long ago by my pursuers. The ones who intend to destroy me.
All of a sudden I hear footsteps approaching. They’re coming for me. I stay where I am, frozen with fear as they get louder and louder. I want to scream, but I can’t.
Then I see them. All four of them standing in the darkness, wielding horrible, sharp weapons, the same ones that are to end my life. I cower as they walk over to me and admire my red cross-shaped mark on my side. I want to run but I can’t move.
They advance on me, one of them pulling a string on a long sharp metal instrument.
‘Your time is up.’ He says, as the gleaming instrument starts roaring. I search desperately around as they come in at all sides, bearing down on me like lions, but there is nothing I can do. I look up to the canopies of the trees, wanting it to be the last thing I see before I die. The forest, my home. I close my eyes as the first chainsaw cuts down on my arm. I scream, but no-one hears me over the noise. Suddenly the din fades, and I fall into a sleep; one without the shadows or nightmares, and after 200 years I am finally at peace.

A small child runs through the forest, looking around for something. When she gets to the copper-coloured clearing she searches for it; but all she finds is a jagged stump, as the Great Old Oak tree had been cut down.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!